[gui-talk] Ray Kurzweil Teams with Baker & Taylor on New eReader Software

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Fri Oct 23 17:20:52 UTC 2009

James,

Your message confuses me a little.  My understanding of this announcement is simply that a publisher is cooperating with KNFB reader to use a format and software
that allows us to have access to an electronic book format that the publisher is already using or is willing to use.  I suppose that if it worked well, there would be
some hope that it would be used by additional publishers but I don't see it as being in conflict with what you are saying in your note.  If there is a way for publisher's
material to be made accessible without authors having to do anything special, that would be great.  However, we really have two problems.  How do we get better
general access to materials and how do we get access to books that authors and publishers have already converted to an electronic format?

It would be interesting to know more about what approach you are taking.  In general, creating texts that are truly accessible is not as simple as people try to make it
sometimes, you are right about that, so I am curious how you are approaching dealing with multiple authoring packages and what kind of access you are providing?.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson