[gui-talk] a question about Word

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 13 04:40:59 UTC 2009

Hi all --
I know this may be obvious to those familiar with the workings of MS Word
(I'm using 2003), but I have never done this without sighted assistance and
am wondering if any of you have.

I have a word doc that I want to insert 2 pictures into.
I know the pics are the ones I want and they should fit, as another pic I
took with this same camera fit. But it is giving me problems tonight.

Here's the layout:

Letter written that fits in 1 page, then a page break.
Text caption for picture then include pic1

more text for the next pic, then insert picture 2.
Then followup text.

Before when I inserted a pic in a document, the pic was short and wide and
fit neatly into half a standard page.  I was hoping the same thing would
happen with these. But pic 1 and pic 2 fall on different pages, and the
caption for pic2 is left on the page below pic 1.

I also want to know any queries I can make of my position in inches on the
screen.
I have been using the jaws command insert+delete to get the location I am on
when on the captions but the info it gives me is not usable. I need inches.
This would then tell me about how much space the picture takes up.

Any comments welcome. But I'm not done...

I also am wondering how to interpret the indentation controls in the
paragraph settings. In my letter, I scarfed a paragraph of text from an
email and pasted it in the doc, and changed the font to turn it red.  Then I
went to the paragraph settings and really don't understand how to interpret
the controls. Of course I know what indentation and justification is and
such, but I need a way to specify how to indent that paragraph a half inch
and hopefully the line length would shorten automatically.  Also I need to
know if it is setting a temporary indent for the first line and not
indenting the rest, or if the indentation is for the whole block of text.

TIA for any helpful info!!!
--le