[gui-talk] Fwd: Jaws FAQ: Can I restore my Jaws to factory defaults if I muck something up?

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Fri Oct 9 04:26:02 UTC 2009

 From:    Daniel Keogh DKeogh at quantumtechnology.com.au
 To:      vip-l at softspeak.com.au

Can I restore my Jaws to factory defaults if I muck something up?

Yes. There is more than 1 way to do this but before you try it you need
to understand a little of how Jaws handles configurations.

Jaws configurations work in a hierarchy. When you first install Jaws and
run it it has a certain way it'll behave by default. These settings are
used throughout windows. If a program has settings that have been
assigned to it by Freedom Scientific they will override the defaults. If
the user then changes any settings these will override everything else.
The user can change or create any Jaws configuration including the
default. These will then override the ones Jaws already has.

Before Jaws 6.0 If the user modified a configuration they were actually
modifying the original. This made it extremely difficult if not
impossible to return Jaws to it's default state without totally
reinstalling the program unless you kept a backup of the original files.
With the release of Jaws 6 the user defined configurations were stored
in a completely separate folder. The main reason for this was to make
Jaws compatible with multiple logins in Windows XP. The big bonus with
this system was that if you deleted the user settings Jaws would return
to it's default state.

Where are the settings stored?

There are 2 ways to get to where the user defined Jaws configurations
are stored. You can either navigate to the C:\Documents and
Settings\Username\Application Data\Freedom
Scientific\JAWS\X\Settings\enu folder. Username is the name of the
logged in user and X is the Jaws version number.

A quicker way to do it is in the start menu. Depending on whether you
have Windows XP or Vista will depend on how you do this. The option you
want is in the start menu, programs. Jaws X (where X is the version
number), Explore Jaws, Explore My Settings. This will take you directly
to the Jaws configurations for your login name.

If you have Jaws 10 or earlier and want to reset everything to their
default settings just delete everything in here. If you're running Jaws
11 this will reset everything with the exception of all voice profile
settings. To remove these press the Backspace key to go the the previous
folder. Once there find and delete the VoiceProfiles.ini file.

Regards,

Danny Keogh
Quantum Technology
Blindness Software/Hardware Sales and Support
Phone:  03 9545 4102
Mobile:  0439 022 146
Email  dkeogh at quantumtechnology.com.au
www.quantumtechnology.com.au