[gui-talk] Sound when accessing a link silent

Mike Freeman k7uij at panix.com
Tue Nov 17 04:43:49 UTC 2009

Sherri:

What has happened is that an application, for example, RealPlayer or TotalRecorder, has disabled the "Windows Start Navigation" sound, that is, changed your sound scheme.

Go to Control Panel, arrow down to Sounds and Audio Devices, then hit Enter. The first "tab" is the Volume Tab. Either shift-tab till you hear this or hit control-tab to get to the Sounds Scheme Tab. Tab till you hear the tree structure of sounds. Down-arrow until you hear comStart Navigation"; it should be under Internet Explorer, if I recall. Tab to the sound. You'll hear "none". Hit alt-down-arrow to open the combo box and arrow down till you hear "Windows Start Navigation" or similar. Now hit alt-up-arrow to close the combo box. Now backtab till you hear "apply". Hit space. Now tab till you hdar "Save Sound Scheme As". Hit space to activate that button. You'll be in a dialogue to give the "new" sound scheme a name. It might be advisable to go through this dialogue before you start all this so you know what schemes you already have. If you reuse the name of one, you'll be asked if you really want to overwrite the current scheme. You do so you answer yes. If you make up a n
 ew name, you won't be asked.

Strictly-speaking, you don't have to save the scheme. You just won't be able to select all the sounds in a scheme (if you have several) this way. But it doesn't hurt anything.

Anyway, when you've applied the scheme per above, you can either save the modified scheme with a name or not. You just backtab to OK and hit space and you're done.

It sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

Mike