[gui-talk] remote desktop access

Hoffman, Allen Allen.Hoffman at dhs.gov
Mon Nov 9 21:08:09 UTC 2009

I'm looking for information on how remote desktop works, or doesn't
work.  My understanding at present is:
1.  client workstation connects to server workstation.
2.  Server workstation provides screen information and mouse position to
client, and accepts keyboard input and mouse move and clicks.
3.  Server can also send audio across to client.
4.  Client accepts all and renders to screen and audio.

Accepted solution is to run screen reader on server workstation and pass
audio.

For many reasons this is unfeasible in a secure, or large IT
environment.

Seems like what we need to do is consider combining the functionality of
NVDA and VNC together to pass the accessibility attributes a screen
reader would use, MSAA, UIA, IAccessible/2 across and render those at
the client so whatever AT is in use would just operate normally.
Inaccessible applications on the server would be inaccessible on the
client--at least for screen reader users, as it should be.

Anyone have information to kick start a proof of concept of such an
implementation.  OS/2 RACF used to work this way.