[gui-talk] Free Microsoft Security thing questions

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 05:01:33 UTC 2009

Joel: the program from MS is called Microsoft Security Essentials. If
what you're using is working for you and is accessible, then there's
no need to change, unless that is you're into saving money. I'm using
the MS Security Essentials program on my new netbook and that's the
only security program I plan on putting there, unless something goes
horribly wrong somewhere but I don't expect that. the Security
Essentials includes both antivirus and antispyware protection. I'm not
sure if you need a separate firewall or if that's included as well.
I'd appreciate any clarification on this if anyone knows. I've heard
that some people have dropped their firewall in favor of the MS
program, so perhaps it does have a firewall. Or, perhaps it works in
conjunction with the Windows Firewall that appeared in Windows XP and
later.

Good luck,
Wayne