[gui-talk] Recieved my NLS digital reading device: Now whaht?

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Sat May 16 19:53:59 UTC 2009

Hi, Joel.  By your description (using the Play button to get into the audio
user guide) you must be using a Standard model player, which does not have
keys for moving among sections, setting bookmarks, etc.  As you found, you
can do a lot with rewind and fast forward, but I wouldn't be surprised if
you asked your library for the advanced model later.

You will probably need to obtain one or more USB thumb drives to store books
you download.  They plug into the side of the player.  Books come as a ZIP
file, and you place the contents of that ZIP file in the root directory of
the drive.  This is different from what people are accustomed to doing with
the Victor Stream and other players.

I hope you can get your BARD subscription worked out quickly, but I wouldn't
count on a single day.  The Braille Institute must contact NLS and verify
that you are using the program (which they probably have done).  Up to now,
NLS sends you the message with your username (which is your e-mail address,
case sensitive) and a temporary, one-time password which you are asked to
change when you log on.  These messages do occassionally get caught in spam
filters.  This system will change to a more localized system in the next
several weeks as the pre-launch test continues.  If you haven't done so
already, you should write a message to nlsdownload at loc.gov describing what
you have done so far.  We are all learning where this new system works and
where it doesn't.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls