[gui-talk] Upgrade tool available for windows 7.

James Pepper b75205 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 15:28:39 UTC 2009

First you should not get into any new technology until you check out AFB
Tech's webpage and find out if they have tested it.  AFB Tech is the testing
arm of the American Foundation for the Blind.

The new accessibility featurees built into Windows 7 may work, they might
not work depending on what you have installed on your computer.  But the
shift in Microsoft is for the new ARIA standards for web design and
unfortunately most people do not know how to design for that standard.  So
that leaves the blind standing around waiting for this to be implemented and
if you upgrade, you will not be able to use you current stuff.

We already know that the new Internet Explorer does not work with JAWS 8,
has limited support for JAWS 9 and works sporatically with JAWS 10 and the
reports are now only coming in as to how good it works with JAWS 10.  This
information is from the Freedom Scientific Website.

You need to concentrate on what actually works and what may work in theory.
AFB Tech is made up of engineers who are blind and not blind and they
actually determine if things work and they test all sorts of devices,
software and computers.

Dolphin just came out with their new software today and they claim it will
work with the new Windows 7.  It may, it may not, you have to get things
tested to make sure.  Also the Jeringan Institute tests technology at the
National Federation of the Blind.

James