[gui-talk] an I.e8 inquiry

James Pepper b75205 at gmail.com
Fri May 8 00:26:20 UTC 2009

We can talk theory all we want but the reality out there is that most
websites are not accessible.  Face it, mnost of the content in webpages is
not accessible to the blind.  It is an intolerable situation.  There is no
meeting of the minds between content authors and the blind and that standard
should be the goal of all accessibility discussions.

What we need is a practical standard for accessibility where the web
designer designs for screen readers to use their pages.  This is not
happening now and it is a disgrace.  This is not difficult to achieve, it is
a matter of designing a webpage with accessibility in mind as you design the
page.

It is when people start creating new technologies to solve the problems of
accessibility in the future and set lofty goals but they do not make things
accessible in the here and now and in the case of Yahoo they just went ahead
and updated their software without any regard to whether the blind could use
it or not.