[gui-talk] Fwd: A FaceBook discovery.

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 25 02:12:34 UTC 2009

From:	Suzy blind_avenger at cox.net
To:  gw-info at gwmicro.com

This message is for anyone who uses Facebook in combination with Window-Eyes 7.01 and Firefox 3.

I don’t believe this has been discussed before. I just made a discovery. Try logging into Facebook and doing the following:
Once the page is loaded, press Alt-v followed by the letter y.
Examine the two options. More than likely, the Basic page style is checked.
Press Enter on the No Style option.
When the page reloads, notice the increased number of links and headings; examine the page. Notice that you can get to many things that were seemingly invisible.

I don’t recommend this as a method for constantly viewing the page, but you cannot hide posts without using the No Style option. For example, I had a friend who sent something from an application to about 20 people, and her posts were just about the only things appearing on my home page. I couldn’t hide her using the Basic Style option, but I could by using the No Style option. Once her posts were hidden, I discovered I had several other friends posting away, too.
There are many other things that become visible as well. Here are some examples:
1.                           All edit boxes for comments are now in view, so no more routing the mouse, fine tuning the mouse location, turning off Browse Mode, and left-clicking. If I remember correctly, Browse Mode still has to be turned on manually after pressing Enter on the Share button. (Please forgive my lack of memory; I am quite excited.)
2.                           There is now an edit box for searching.
3.                           The Edit link for changing application settings is available once again. It disappeared with the new layout.
4.                           A few of your latest notifications are visible. This is not even the case for sighted individuals using the page with the Basic Option checked.

I realize there are some things that are useless in this view and that it seems to be a bit overwhelming. However, it is another option for getting around on Facebook.

Suzy! The Blind Avenger!
Doing everything possible to prove that blind people can.