[gui-talk] Fwd: VB.net and Window-Eyes: The Answers

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 25 01:48:56 UTC 2009

 From:    Ron Parker ron at gwmicro.com
 To:      gw-scripting at gwmicro.com

There's been a lot of discussion lately on using VB.net to create
external scripts for Window-Eyes, and it's split across several
sometimes very large discussion threads, so I thought I'd create another
brand-new thread with what I think is a definitive statement on VB.net.

Unfortunately, it looks like there is a small but significant problem
that prevents some VB.net applications from working properly.
Interestingly, it doesn't appear to be our bug; it looks like it could
be an obscure bug in the .net interop code, though I haven't found any
independent confirmation of that yet.  We've got a workaround for it,
but it won't be available until version 7.1.  This affects all scripts
that want to use our custom UI code and all scripts that want to
register hotkeys, as well as anything that uses any other
non-event-based callbacks.  I know I said previously that I had Jamal's
Fruit Basket script working, but it turns out that - against all odds -
in the process of figuring out what needed to be done to make it work, I
had inadvertently added just the workaround we needed to fix the interop
problem.

Also, it turns out that there were a couple bugs in our IDL file - and
thus in the resulting TLB file - that were breaking event handling for
some high-level languages including vb.net.  That's something that could
be worked around for 7.0, but in combination with the above problem, it
seems like it might just be better to say that VB.net and Window-Eyes
7.0 just don't quite work together.

The good news is, all of this will be fixed in Window-Eyes 7.1.  The
better news is that Window-Eyes 7.1 will be a free upgrade if you
already have Window-Eyes 7.0, so once it's released (sometime in April,
they say) there shouldn't be any reason for anyone to still be running
7.0.

Meanwhile, we'll take some time to put together sample VB.net and C#
projects that do event handling and callbacks and client identification
and all that jazz, and we'll make that available around the same time as
7.1.  We'll also generate an official interop assembly and make that and
the updated IDL and TLB and so on available as part of a new SDK.

The upshot of all this is that if you want to develop scripts using a
.net language, you might find that it's a lot easier if you just put it
off a month or so and try again with the new tools that'll be available
then.------------- Original Message Ends --------------------

Regards Steve
Email:  srp at internode.on.net
MSN Messenger:  internetuser383 at hotmail.com