[gui-talk] Freedom Scientific Releases New GPS Solution for the Blind

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Tue Jul 28 11:07:17 UTC 2009

Freedom Scientific Releases New GPS Solution for the Blind
StreetTalk VIP Now Shipping

(St. Petersburg, Florida ­ July 27, 2009) —
Freedom Scientific today announced the
immediate availability of StreetTalk™ VIP.

Running on Freedom Scientific’s PAC Mate Omni™
Accessible Pocket PC, StreetTalk VIP
offers GPS navigation that takes into account the
unique needs of people with visual
impairments. The application uses technology from
the Sendero Group to determine
the best route from point A to point B for either
a vehicle or a pedestrian and presents
information to the user with synthesized speech and/or refreshable braille.

Jonathan Mosen, Freedom Scientific’s Vice
President of Blindness Hardware Product
Management, says, “StreetTalk VIP is a powerful
tool for exploring your surroundings
both virtually and in real time."

Mosen adds that, “During our extensive user
testing process, I've used StreetTalk
VIP in New Zealand, Australia, the United
Kingdom, Canada, and the United States.
I can sit in my hotel room and find information
about nearby points of interest.
Using the virtual mode, I can explore the
surrounding streets while I’m still in
my room, and decide where I want to go before
switching on my GPS receiver and venturing
outside. If I’m taking a taxi, I can print out
the route directions for the driver
or simply monitor my PAC Mate Omni and give him
directions. StreetTalk VIP gives
me great real time information, whether I’m
traveling on foot or in a vehicle. I
love the independence I have with StreetTalk VIP
and would not leave home without
it.”

StreetTalk VIP is available with maps for the US
and Canada, Western Europe, Australia,
and New Zealand.

For more information, including a full pricing schedule, please visit the
StreetTalk VIP Web page
  or call 1-800-444-4443.