[gui-talk] iPhone Information

Kevin Fjelsted kfjelsted at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 15:00:13 UTC 2009

If you join the IPhone VoiceOver group that I sent earlier you will
find lots of resources.
I am including some compiled notes on the jestures below that you may
find helpful.

<<<

VoiceOver Gestures

When VoiceOver is turned on, the standard touchscreen gestures have
different results. These and additional gestures allow you to move
around the screen and to control the individual elements when they’re
selected. VoiceOver gestures include using two and three fingers to
tap or flick. For best results using two- and three-finger gestures,
relax and let your fingers touch the screen naturally.

You can use many different techniques to enter VoiceOver gestures. For
example, you can enter a two-finger tap using two fingers from one
hand, or one finger from each hand. You can also use your thumbs. Try
different techniques to discover which works best for you.

Following is a summary of some of the VoiceOver gestures.
Navigate and Read

     *

       Tap:  Speak item.
     *

       Flick right or left:  Select next or previous item.
     *

       Flick up or down:  Depends on Rotor Control setting. See Rotor Control.
     *

       Two-finger tap:  Stop speaking current item.
     *

       Two-finger flick up:  Read all from top of screen.
     *

       Two-finger flick down:  Read all from current position.
     *

       Three-finger flick up or down:  Scroll one page at a time.
     *

       Three-finger flick right or left:  Go to next or previous page
(such as Home screen, Stocks, Safari).
     *

       Three-finger tap:  Speak the scroll status (which page or rows
are visible).

Select and Activate

     *

       Double-tap:  Activate selected item.
     *

       Touch an item with one finger, tap the screen with another
finger (“split tapping”):  Activate item.
     *

       Double-tap and hold (1 second) + standard gesture:  Use a
standard gesture.

       The double-tap and hold gesture tells iPhone to interpret the
subsequent gesture as a standard one. For example, you can double-tap
and hold, then without lifting your finger, drag your finger to slide
a switch.
     *

       Two-finger double tap:  Answer or end a call. Play or pause
(iPod, YouTube, Voice Memos, Photos). Take a picture (Camera). Start
or pause recording (Camera, Voice Memos).
     *

       Three-finger double tap:  Mute or unmute VoiceOver.
     *

       Three-finger triple tap:  Turn the screen curtain on or off.

NOTE: Single-finger flicking gestures must be done quickly to
distinguish them from dragging gestures.

Powering off
To  turn it off press and hold the standby button on the top right of
the phone until you hear it say power off button then double tap. To
turn it on just press the standby button.

Using VoiceOver
Select items on the screen:

Drag your finger over the screen. VoiceOver identifies each element as
you touch it. You can also move systematically from one element to the
selected from left-to-right, top-to-bottom. Flick right to go to the
next element, or flick left to go to the previous element.
“Tap” a selected item when VoiceOver is turned on:

Double-tap anywhere on the screen.
Speak the text of an element, character by character or word by word:

With the element selected, flick up or down with one finger. Flick
down to read the next character, or flick up to read the previous
character. Twist the rotor control to read word by word.
Enter text:

Select a key on the keyboard by flicking left or right, then double-
tap to enter the character. Or drag you finger around the keyboard to
select a key and, while holding the key with one finger, tap the
screen with another finger to enter the character. VoiceOver speaks
the key when it’s selected and again when it’s entered.

Flick up or down to move the insertion point forward or backward in
the text. VoiceOver makes a sound when the insertion point moves and
speaks the character to the right of the insertion point. Use the
Rotor to select moving the insertion point by character or by word.

To enter an accented character, double-tap and hold until you hear a
sound that indicates the alternate characters have appeared, then drag
left or right to select and hear the choices. Release your finger to
enter the current selection.
Adjust a slider:

With a single finger, flick up to increase the setting or down to
decrease the setting. VoiceOver announces the setting as you adjust
it.
Scroll a list or area of the screen:

Flick up or down with three fingers. Flick down to scroll down, or
flick up to scroll up. If you’re scrolling through a list, VoiceOver
speaks the range of items displayed (for example, “showing rows 5
through 10”). Areas are scrolled in sections, and VoiceOver tells you
which section is visible as you scroll.

For best results using three-finger gestures, relax and let your
fingers touch the screen naturally.
Unlock iPhone:

Select the Unlock switch, then double-tap the screen.
Mute VoiceOver:

Double-tap with three fingers. Double-tap again with three fingers to
turn speaking back on. To turn off only VoiceOver sounds, set the
Ring/ Silent switch to Silent.
Stop speaking an item:

Tap once with two fingers. Speaking automatically resumes when you
select another item.
Turn off the display while you use VoiceOver (“Screen Curtain”):

Triple-tap with three fingers. Triple-tap again with three fingers to
turn on the display again.
Speak entire screen from the top (“Read All”):

Flick up with two fingers.
Speak from current item to bottom of screen:

Flick down with two fingers.

Status information about iPhone can be heard by touching the top of
the screen. This can include the time, battery life, Wi-Fi signal