[gui-talk] Voiceover

Mike Arrigo n0oxy at charter.net
Sun Jul 26 22:06:40 UTC 2009

Hi. Though voice over does not load the page in to a buffer per say,
you are able to navigate the page in the correct order. Voice over has
2 ways of presenting a web page, which one you use is a matter of
preference, neither one is right or wrong. The first mode is dom mode,
dom stands for document object model. This works in much the same way
as the windows screen readers do, you navigate item by item, an item
might be a paragraph, a link, a control etc. This is the way I prefer
to use it. The other mode is called group mode. Group mode groups
items together such as all of the links at the top of a page, or all
of the links in an image map. If you want to review and possibly
select one of the links, you interact with that element which shows
all of the links separately. Hopefully my description is
understandable, I get the idea that it sounds more confusing than it
actually is. Suffice it to say that you can navigate pages and be
productive on the mac using the web. The one exception to this is
flash. Currently, flash is not accessible at all, and Adobe says they
have no interest in making it accessible on the mac. However, there
are 2 sides to that. Unfortunately in many cases, flash is not labeled
correctly, so windows screen readers will simply say button, button,
button, etc. And if that's the case, I would rather it not say
anything since that really doesn't offer much.