[gui-talk] Voiceover

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 26 01:09:06 UTC 2009

Hi all --
I just now read this very long and fascinating thread. I'm glad to hear
about SnowLeopard, but have some concerns.
First, some very vocal persons on the blind programming lists has blasted
the Mac as not providing any accessible support for software development.
On Windows there is Visual Studio, which has received a lot of attention
both in and out of Microsoft to make it accessible. But at least according
to a couple of persons who tried the Mac, it was significantly less
attentive to the needs of persons who needed to do something really
technical, like developing their own software.
I didn't read Kevin's articles. Perhaps there is mention their. Has anyone
else looked into this?
Second, I purchased a used Mac book this year and am wanting to become
proficient on it.  It has the disk partitioned partly for Leopard and part
for Windows XP Pro, and switching back and forth is easy.
I am working on familiarizing myself with Leopard.
Now when I first got it and a nephew came to visit, he grabbed my Mac and
started using it -- he's actually a bit of an Mac disciple -- and I asked
him if he would show me how to do that with VoiceOver on.  After pausing a
minute, he realized he was using the mouse solely and had no idea how I
would use the keyboard to do the equivalent operations.
So I've been teaching myself.
As with windows, I have the concern that if I'm speaking to a sighted person
about how to access or do something, my method would be significantly
different from theirs, which might get in the way of conveying the needed
information. This happens a lot when trying to help family members with
their windows computers. Would Mac with VO be any better?
Have a great weekend!
--le