[gui-talk] Voiceover

James Pepper b75205 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 21:39:46 UTC 2009

Here is the AFB Tech, the American Foundation for the Blind's Technology
Center's review of Voice Over.  I highly recommend you check into the AFB
Tech Site because they test everything in their West Virginia facility.
http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pub.asp?DocID=aw090603

Just note that in the past Apple has been very vocal against the AFB because
in the past you had to select text on the screen to read it and the folks at
AFB tech pointed out that the blind could not see the screen to select the
text.

Here is a link to the braille version of the article:

http://www.afb.org/afbpress/Braille.asp?DocID=aw090603&PageTitle=An+Evaluation+of+VoiceOver%2C+the+Macintosh+Screen+Reader+%2D+AccessWorld%AE+%2D+November+2008

I would recommend staying with the PC environment because most accessibility
was developed on that system and especially when you are dealing with
Microsoft Office you will find that the mac versions do not have all the
features of the PC versions.  I know that will cause a lot of chaos here but
it is a problem.  Microsoft is the company that is focusing on accessibility
and especially on the PC, they are fed up with the way things are going now
and with their new ARIA standards, I would recommend staying on the PC
bandwagon.

James Pepper