[gui-talk] [Bulk] Re: Voiceover

tunecollector tunecollector at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 25 20:19:57 UTC 2009

Is there a Voiceover users list?

-----Original Message-----
From: gui-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:gui-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Kevin Fjelsted
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2009 10:50 AM
To: NFBnet GUI Talk Mailing List
Subject: [Bulk] Re: [gui-talk] Voiceover

VoiceOver is absolutely awesome. A superb resource for reading details
from a community perspective is http://www.lioncourt.com.
I thhink that the exciting thing about VoiceOver is that the stars are
aligned for us. 1) Apple is making record profits and is applying
resources in support of  VoiceOver access across there entire product
line including mobile devices. The fact that the NFB technology center
chooses to publish inaccuracies and propaganda
which is so misleading must mean that the existing companies like
Freedom Scientific are running scared and trying to rally resources to
quash VoiceOver usage. When ever we see established organizations
becoming defensive it is time to really dig under the covers and ask
the reasons why. In my opinion every blind person who relies on
accessibility technology for computers and mobile devices needs to
look at VoiceOver as well as the other technologies and proactively
push the envelope so that we can create momentum for transparency. My
question is, why aren't  all of the vendors  emulating the approach of
VoiceOver, which is to have built in accessibility to the device out
of the box without charging extra? WHen I can pay $190 for a cell
phone that has built in accessibility I find that amazing compared to
spending money for a cell phone and then having to turn around and buy
a 3rd party access solution that in many cases only works half baked.
Not only do I get a cell phone for $190 but I get all the built in
apps talking clock, calculator, maps, weather forecasting, text
messaging, address book management, calendaring including syncing with
other calendars. For years blind people have taken the position that
touch screens are the enemy and that we can't use them. Yet the IPhone
with VoiceOver is totally dependent on the touch screen. I do
everything with the touch screen look at email, update my calendar,
make phone calls,....   -Kevin Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 10:26 AM,
tunecollector<tunecollector at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> This subject was discussed when Voiceover first came out but has anyone
used
> it more intensively since then?  Is it ready for prime time?    What are
its
> drawbacks.

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/gui-talk_nfbnet.org/kfjelsted%40gmail.
com