[gui-talk] AFB Access World and Facebook

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Thu Jul 23 04:47:26 UTC 2009

a little belatedly, and with no intention to devalue Albert's generosity in
posting this article, I'd like to register one disappointment with the
article itself. now, I know that someone has said that the article's a bit
out of date in some way or other, and that Facebook's design has moved on
during the intervening months.

Okay. I have no way to know just in which ways the article's explanations
may be outdated. But one thing I have to say is that the fact that it
explains everything from the perspective of a Window eyes user makes its
explanations  almost an unsought extra burden on my poor mind as I try to
figure out this pretty complicated Web site and service, hoping at least to
use it in a minimal way. If only the article talked about navigating the
site and its functions using jaws, I'd already have absorbed some new sense
of how to get around it after the one reading I did yesterday or whenever it
was that Albert posted it. But as it was, nothing stayed with me, and
Lloyd's informative suggestions and this article still sit in my Inbox,
waiting for me to have the time and enough mental power of concentration to
read them all over again and try to apply something I learn to using
Facebook, just one step at a time, as the article recommends. This is just
pretty discouraging, even though I hesitate to give up too easily.

That's all. just had to vent about it. I know there are a lot of Window Eyes
folks on this list, and I don't begrudge them their choice of screen reader.
But I don't know anything about WE and I can't just translate the screen
reader comments into Jaws ideas as I go. it's just too much to deal with.

Hoping to pick myself up and try again, of course. What's life without a
little challenge?
Joel