[gui-talk] Looking for instructions for understanding Facebooknonvisually

Lloyd Rasmussen lras at sprynet.com
Wed Jul 22 01:31:53 UTC 2009

I am using Facebook with Window-Eyes 7.1 and Firefox 3.0.11.  I have never
tried the mobile version which was cited in another reply to your message.
IE seems to display more options, especially those that are inactive at the
moment, compared to Firefox, resulting in a more cluttered virtual cursor
buffer.

I have been on Facebook for just over a month and have 61 friends so far.
Many are from my church; some are my cousins, nephews and nieces, and one
brother, who all live a long way from here.  I learn a lot of things, some
of which I am glad to know.

Headings are your friend on Facebook.  If you activate "Notifications", for
example, the new page will have a heading near the beginning marking the
notifications you have received in recent days.  Pressing "Status" brings up
the default for your page, with each person's status message starting with a
level 3 heading.  I don't know whether there is a limit to the length of
status messages; it's certainly longer than the Twitter limit, and it does
serve a similar function for many people.

I find it useful to hit the "Friends" link, which brings up lists of your
friends' friends.  This is a quick way to see who's on and start making
relevant friend requests.  If you want to write your own Status message, you
activate the "What's on your mind?" link.  I have only done this a couple of
times; I'm a lurker, too.

When someone posts a status message, the "like" button will, when activated,
indicate to all and sundry that you liked what was posted.  This will also
cause it to be reloaded with the "like" changed to "don't like" in case you
want to remove your Yes vote.

Facebook is a good example of AJAX or Web 2.0 pages where JavaScript is
heavily used to modify the page without necessarily reloading it.  JAWS may
or may not keep up with the changes.  Most changes are caused by you
activating something; I have only had a couple of instances where a page
changed without my intervention.  Some things I do cause the page to go into
Forms Mode and I have to resume virtual cursor mode to read what changed.
You will also often need to use your Find feature to get back to the place
on the page where the change occurred.  In other cases, you activate a link,
such as to see more comments or more posts, and you will not see the changes
until you reload the virtual cursor buffer (Insert-Escape).  I'm using JAWS
terminology, and expect that some of this will work differently in JAWS than
it does in WE.  This is a place where having an up-to-date screen reader,
which you have, should help a little.

I think that unless you change some of your options, your friends can view
what you and others have posted on your wall.

I haven't figured out many things yet, such as Chat and the thousands of
applications you can add to your wall.  (Many of these are visual, but I
wouldn't be surprised if some of the quizzes might be accessible.

I hope this helps a little.  Enjoy Facebook!  Don't let it take over your
life, or get too stressed because you don't understand what it's doing.  The
Help system has a lot of info in textual form, but I didn't find some of the
more basic stuff that people should just visually understand, I suppose.
Have fun!

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls