[gui-talk] A KNFB Reader Competitor

Baracco, Andrew W Andrew.Baracco at va.gov
Thu Jul 16 16:49:10 UTC 2009

This looks promising.
Andy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Mosen" <jmosen at mosen.org
To: <blindphones at mosenexplosion.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 9:43 AM
Subject: A KNFB Reader Competitor

   Hi all, I've been tweeting about this today but for those of you not
   following me on Twitter, thought I would post this here.

   I'm at Sight Village at the moment and have just seen a competitor to
the
   KNFB Reader. It seems to support more phones, because while it needs
a 5
   MP
   camera, it appears not to require Xenon Flash. The application is
called
   Text Scout. When you are lining up the camera, you get audible
feedback
   that
   helps you understand when the picture is right in the view, then the
   picture
   is taken automatically. The image is uploaded to a server for
processing,
   then it starts to read.

   Because the OCR is server based, you can opt to keep a copy of all
your
   documents on the server for later reference. It can save copies in
Word
   and
   other formats, and send them to you via e-mail. It does some degree
of
   hypertexting, for example you can set bookmarks in documents for easy
   navigation.

   The camera requires polarisers like KNFB Reader, however, shortly,
they
   will
   be offering a 14 day demo.

   Info at: