[gui-talk] Reading printer friendly web pages:

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Fri Jul 3 17:14:32 UTC 2009

Albert,

Personally, when that happens to me, I just accept that this is that site's
way of doing things,. I hit escape and then try to navigate the basic page
with all the Jaws commands I can think of. I don't like it, but I make do.
The Huffington Post has a strange idiosyncrasy: They offer a Printer
friendly link, but the page that loads contains what you'd properly call
just an abstract of the article, with an invitation to back up and read the
whole article. I still can't figure out what they think they're doing. But
their site's a huge jungle of page elements for a Jaws user. I wonder if it
makes easy sense to someone just looking at it.

Anyway, if someone finds a work around, cool. I sort of doubt anyone will,
though. Those people don't want you to get a cleaned-up page you could read
online. They just want to help you print it out. And then you could read it
if you scanned it in Open Book or K-1000, that is... grin