[gui-talk] Lost auto context menu when inserting music CD

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Fri Feb 20 17:38:25 UTC 2009

I'm using Windows XP Home. it used to be that when I inserted a music CD in
that drive, intending either to play, copy or rip, an application context
menu would always spring up giving me a list of actions from which I could
choose. This was always so handy.

But just today, I inserted a CD I wanted to rip, and the menu didn't pop up.
In this case, I wanted to rip it using WMP, so I launched Windows Media
Player, determined that it knew what was in the drive, and proceeded to rip.

But if I'd wanted to play the CD using Winamp, or any number of other
possibilities, I'm not sure what I'd have done, I'm so used to that context
menu. How do I get it to pop up again when I insert a music CD? Is this
something in Control Panel or something, a setting that's come undone on its
own? Or...?

thanks,
Joel