[gui-talk] Fwd: For info: Disney audio description and GPS coming soon to the theme parks

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Fri Feb 13 11:45:19 UTC 2009

From: Scott Erichsen pianoman at scotterichsen.com
To: vip-l vip-l at softspeak.com.au

Disney audio description and GPS coming soon to the theme parks

Hi all,
I am a Disney Cast member working for the Disney Travel Company here
in Anaheim California.
Today I had the opportunity to help evaluate a new project Disney
will soon make available in their Anaheim and Florida theme parks.
Later this year, the Disneyland resort will have audio descriptions
on their attractions.
Florida already has some in place.
Today we evaluated whinnie the Pooh. Disneyland is also working on
The Finding nemo Submarine Attraction and Pirates.
Guests would put a deposit down on a receiver which is attached to a
lanyard. They would have a headset on and as they walked up to the
cue of the attraction and
the description would begin.

Its based on each segment of the attraction having frequencies which
would trigger based upon where the guest was at any moment.

WGBH wrote the dialog and recorded it and now Disney is working on
the syncing of the dialog with the attraction recordings.

Its very impressive and they did an excellent job based upon the
Whinnie the Pooh attraction we evaluated today.

Disney World already has this available and later this year or early
next year, lanyards will also have Gps receivers in Disney World so
that guests in the park can tell where
they are as they move through the park.
Disneyland will also have it shortly after that time period.
This would be of great benefit to blind as well as sighted guests.

Regards Steve
Email:  srp at internode.on.net
Windows Live Messenger:  internetuser383 at hotmail.com