[gui-talk] Which companies shoud I contact?

James Pepper b75205 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 08:53:11 UTC 2009

Yes that was me, I can format Acrobat for accessibility better than what
Adobe teaches!

Well right now I have a page layout program that makes PDF files that are
accessible to the most basic screen readers. It also can make content for
print in full color so it can be used to layout books.  I am not sure that
JAWS and GW Micro would be thrilled at the idea of my promoting free text to
speech engines.  Of course in the short run they will still command more
features, but this will eat into their market.  My process does make them
work better with PDF format.

I will look into K1000 and OpenBook but my format is more of a page layout
program where you make content once for everyone.

This is not a matter of converting the content to an accessible format, the
format is inherently accessible.

So I have contacted Adobe already but I was wondering who else out there is
a competitor to Adobe?  Who do I contact? Trying to find the connections.

The the basic fundamental process is a cross platform type of thing and so I
wanted to try to get it embedded in word processors so that ordinary people
could make content and not know they are making it accessible.  Because
right now we are all relying on people knowing how to do this properly and
they are very few in number but if everyone could make accessible content
that is intended to be accessible from the beginning then we can fix this
problem.

I think I've got it!

Does anyone know the accessibility people at Apple?

I laid out the format to work in a lot of languages, more than the present
crop of screen readers support because it works using the text to speech
engines which are being created for the DAISY format.  So I have been doing
a lot of work with Unicode time and date formats with this just to make it
capable of working around the world.  For instance in Hindi and other
langauges of India.  Of course most of these languages do not have a screen
reader yet, but I thought that by demonstrating that this can be done, that
it would give people an incentive to try!  I am not limited by language in
this format.  And I know how to use screen readers for languages that do not
have screen readers yet!  And of course this means that this can reach the
illiterate all over the world. so that is why I laid it out in so many
languages.

Just looking for some advice.

James Pepper