[gui-talk] Talking Book Topics

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Tue Apr 7 14:28:33 UTC 2009

Lloyd,

hi. I'm not complaining about anything like the lack of RSS. I answered my
own question simply by going to the NLS home page, which as I've tried to
say I've been familiar with for years and have as one of the items in my
browser's Favorites list for convenience, and last night I looked for and
found the link to the Talking Book Topics page. Everything is completely
resolved. There isn't any problem now. And now that I know Talking Book
Topics is there for me to look at any time I wish, I suppose I can cancel
the diskette service through The Braille Institute Library here and save NLS
a few dollars on my behalf. So it's all good, like/as we say these
days.Everything's copasetic, as they said just slightly before my time, if
they were the least bit hip. Or just plain cool, as my generation co-opted
from that broad but socially marginal in my youth, a word which, unlike my
generation's other best-known approbative term, groovy, has endured without
too many ups and down and intermittent assignment to museum status., then
briefly enjoying rehabilitation, then getting archived again. Or, let's say,
in early astronaut language, everything is A-OK! So, as Russian cosmonaut
Yuri Gagarincrowed into the mike in his Soyus capsule, payaichele! Which
there is no way to get Jaws to say right, because you can't fool it into
pronouncing the gutteral "ch" sound found in Russian, German, or even the
pronunciation of an initial "j" in Spanish. But I love and appreciate
jaws,don't get me wrong. Sometimes I just wish its dictionary manager were a
little mor phonetically cosmopolitan. No, no whoever is thinking this, I
don't want to switch synths and/or languages just to get Jaws to say one
foreign language word correctly. So when it keeps referring to a
particularly colorful sect of ultra-orthodox Jews as the chasidim, or the
chasidics, I'll just grin and bear it. All this said in good humor, never
fear.
shasisidcs chawhasdidim.somewat somehconlofurl particuqarly wheh syllable
languge swit
owm. Dictiroary Som3m3w niitial pro
One day, I may even hit the California Lottery and buy myself a Victor
stream and sign up for the NLS digital project, whenever it officially goes
public as opposed to a kind of semi-secret Beta operation for the early
adopting cognoscenti.

Thanks again,
Joel