[gui-talk] laptop recommendations, please

Chris G chris at mysticplace.org
Tue Dec 23 14:29:06 UTC 2008

Hi,
for me it's the keyboard and speakers.
I have heard some pretty rough sounding laptops in my time.
Considering we need to use the speakers for speech, if it's horrible
it won't work for me.
Chris
On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:12:34 -0500, "Raul A. Gallegos"
<raul at asmodean.net> wrote:

>When it comes to laptops, I think keyboards are one of the most
>important things to consider. Take the MSI Wind compared against the
>Acer Aspire One for example.
>
>Feature for feature, I like the MSI Wind better than the Aspire One.
>However the keyboard on the MSI Wind kills it for me. I personally feel
>the MSI Wind handles battery life better, and the onboard bluetooth is a
>definite plus because I will be using Bluetooth. However if Bluetooth is
>not a concern, then it does not matter when you use either of these two.
>The keyboard on the Aspire One, although smaller, has the keys placed
>just right for my fingers. Most notably the period, comma, and slash
>keys. On the MSI, the keys are slightly more narrow, causing me to press
>the slash key more often when I'm trying to hit the period. Also, since
>I don't like changing Window-Eyes hot keys, with the MSI Wind, I would
>have to be forced to use the laptop layout, or get an external number
>pad to get the functionality of Window-Eyes. The reason is because MSI
>Wind's keyboard method of handling the embedded numberpad is
>non-standard and is a serious flaw in the design imho.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>albert griffith wrote the following on 12/22/2008 5:52 PM:
>> I'd like to get a sense of how people are able to use the keyboards built in
>> to laptops.  Are they generally user friendly or do most of you use a
>> standard keyboard plugged in to a USB port?
>> If it's reasonable I'd prefer to use the keyboard that comes with the
>> machine but I've only had experience with my wife's and it's not too
>> friendly.

The home of the Mystic Place blog and podcast.
www.mysticplace.info
RSS: feeds.feedburner.com/mysticplacebp