[gui-talk] laptop recommendations, please

albert griffith albertgriffith at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 22 03:28:24 UTC 2008

Because you said weight is a consideration I'll mention a new group of lap
tops not discussed much before.  They're called net books.  They weigh
considerably less than standard lap tops unless you consider the real
expensive ones.  You can buy one of these for $300 or so but they have less
drive capacity but you could maintain an external drive you'd synch the lap
top with.  You could go to any big box store and feel one.  Vista isn't so
bad.  You can set it up to feel just like XP.  No matter which lap top you
decide to purchase you'll want two gigs of ram.  There are a number of jaws
friendly antivirus programs on the market and some of them are free.
Remember to see if your ISP offers one as part of their service.  I use
att.yahoo and they do.  Before buying a lap top I'd go to a store that
displays many to get a feel for their keyboards and such.  Many blind people
plug in a standard keyboard anyway.  Just some off the cuff thoughts.