[gui-talk] google has changed and searches are now difficult

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Tue Dec 16 00:38:37 UTC 2008

Hi Marsha,

thanks for saying this when no one else, seeing my puzzlement, seems to have
thought it worth the bother. I'm currently using Internet Explorer 7 as my
browser, which permits what was for a while the novelty of tabbed browsing.
I loaded three different Web pages, one from the other, just now, and found
I could move backward from the third to the first not only by pressing my
customary keystrokes Alt Left Arrow, and then of course Alt Right arrow to
go forward again, but could also go backward from the third or second link
to the one just before it by pressing the backspace key! That was
interesting to learn, whether or not I find myself making use of it. It's
good to know you can do that.

On the other hand, I exited everything and started from launching Internet
Explorer again, then opening another Web page by using the Open In New Tab
method (in this case, typing its URL into the address bar and pressing alt
Enter instead of just Enter) and then opening a third tabbed page from the
second, using the same method.

Now here, I couldn't back up using the Backspace key. Jaws just said
"blank." Obviously it wasn't doing anything, whatever that "blank" bit might
have been about.

So that seems to be one major difference between situations where Backspace
will function as a Go Back command, and another where it won't. And I have
no idea what anyone's doing who says it's not working for them anymore.
Also, I wonder if they're even trying to just press the familiar Alt left
arrow, and seeing if that happens to work even though the Backspace key is
letting them down for some reason.

But I don't really have anything to offer about that original problem, so
never mind my random thoughts. And thanks for explaining what you explained.

Joel