[gui-talk] Sighted "speed reading:" A little perspective

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Mon Dec 15 17:56:03 UTC 2008

Dear Allen,

I'm sorry, but what I've found over the time I've been subscribed to this
list and a couple of others is that many attempts at explanations across the
blind vs. sighted experiential chasm have turned out to be not just
rigorously demanding to make but nearly impossible to find a way to
translate. So I just don't venture into it any deeper than I've gone in the
post of mine you're referring to. Even as I sometimes write and publish
stories and essays about my experience of losing my vision, the description
of the effect is mainly  for the benefit of the normally sighted reader who
can then be forced,if my descriptive skill is adequate, into imagining
imperfect or fading vision. My writing of that sort is usually effective for
sighted readers and affecting for them, also, but of little use on the other
side of the cultural and perceptual chasm that I've learned separates
sightlings and blinks. I really can't help you, and also my best powers
aren't of the scientifically analytical sort. I'm sorry. So at the level
you're addressing it, this issue is beyond my reach or simply off my table.

I'm sincerely sorry not to be able to help.

Joel

my power culutral me,skill ifor sinnto son't no th4 th t