[gui-talk] correction/addition, one more try

Joel Deutsch jdeutsch at dslextreme.com
Thu Dec 11 20:08:21 UTC 2008

This hasn't posted for some reason and I want to add it to what I said
earlier, so I'm trying again:

In my haste, I neglected to say one obvious thing. I wrote:

Someone who, in adulthood, is really a slow reader, isn't thought to need
more practice. Almost without exception, the problem is either just being
slow mentally or, and this can be true without the person seeming "retarded"
otherwise as it used to be expressed, is that they may have suffered from a
neurological problem like dyslexia as a child and never overcome it.

All that's true, but I didn't mention one obvious thing, which is that the
slow adult reader, one whose slowness isn't due to dyslexia, may not always
be mentally slow in general, but may have spent their childhood in
circumstances-- inferior education and a family and/or immediate community
that doesn't value education-- that their native intelligence, however keen,
didn't translate into skill at reading and, consequently, in learning and
thinking as a person can when they can read and learn things by reading.
That's not "stupid," but now we're talking "street smarts," which is a whole
different thing. Really different.

But I didn't mean to leave it as if low I.Q., so to speak, was the only
reason besides dyslexia that a school  age child or an adult wouldn't be a
capable reader. Just an omission. Sorry.