[gui-talk] Fwd: First beta of WE4Java for Window-Eyes now available on rapidshare

Steve Pattison srp at internode.on.net
Mon Dec 8 22:58:10 UTC 2008

From: Macarty, Jay {PBSG} Jay.Macarty at pbsg.com
To: gw-scripting at gwmicro.com

All,

I have posted the first beta copy of WE4Java out on the RapidShare website. The link is given below:

http://rapidshare.com/files/171494538/WE4Java_setup.exe

Click on the link or paste it into your browser. When you get to the download page, select the Free User button. From what I can tell, the "Free User" option forces you to wait a few seconds before the download starts. This is the first time I have used this site; so, let me know if you have trouble with the download.

The WE4Java_setup.exe installer will perform a number of tasks:

·         It will install the java files, C# COM object (and the C# source), and the WE4Java.wepm script package file into c:\Program Files\WE4Java by default.

·         It will register the WE4Java.dll assembly as a COM object and place it in the global assembly cache.

·         It will set up a new group under Start/All Programs called WE4Java.

·         It will execute the WE4Java.ewpm package file to install the WE4Java.js script and its associated files.

·         It will execute a java installer utility to help you install the accessibility.properties and jar files in the proper java locations on your computer. This is explained more below.

The program group named WE4Java, under Start/All Programs, contains a View Documentation group to let you view the readme file, change log, and Java installation instructions. This group also lets you launch the java installation utility to install the WE4java components to additional java environments since several may exist on your computer and new ones may be added as you add software.

The java installer utility allows you to install the required property file and 3 jar files into a particular java runtime environment. The utility first checks your registry entry to see if a default java environment is installed and where it is located. If found, the utility will prompt to ask you if you wish to install the WE4Java components in this location. Since a java environment can exist in 2 flavors (a simple runtime environment called a JRE or a development kit environment called a JDK), the utility will check for both in the registry. Unless you do java development, you will likely not see the prompt for a JDK default install.

Once the install utility has scanned for default java environments and installed if you choose, it opens a folder selection dialog to allow you to pick another java directory to install WE4Java files into. By default, many java environments are installed to the folder c:\Program files\java. Therefore, if this folder exists, the selection dialog will automatically move to it to help you locate your java environments. Press right arrow to open the java directory and you will see the various installations. For example, I have directories under Program Files\java called jdk1.5.0_13, jdk1.6.0_05, jre1.5.0_05, jre1.6.0_04, jre1.6.0_05, and jre1.6.0_07. Simply arrow to the desired folder and press enter to install WE4Java.

NOTE: If you currently use the Java access bridge, please be aware that only one java access method can be used for each java environment (either WE4Java or JAB). Which one is active is controlled by a setting in the file accessibility.properties. If the WE4Java install utility detects that an existing accessibility.properties file exists in a given environment, it will make a backup of this file calling it accessibility.WE4Java_backup.

Since my last posting, I have added support for list boxes and trees to WE4Java. With being out of town for the holidays, being sick just after Thanks Giving, and putting together the installation package, including the java installer utility, the actual enhancements to the WE4Java capabilities has been slower. The major efforts remaining include table navigation support and handling menu bars.

Please provide feedback either privately, if you wish to discuss a particular issue or enhancement, or publically if the content is relevant to this list or is of a general nature of your experience with WE4Java.

I'll be posting updates to the package soon. Just wanted to get the initial beta out there to start letting those interested get a feel for it and to establish if we want to keep managing the download through RapidShare.

Regards Steve
Email:  srp at internode.on.net
Windows Live Messenger:  internetuser383 at hotmail.com