[gui-talk] Looking for Blind Person in Broadcasting

Brian Blair brianblair at polarblairs.org
Fri Dec 5 07:16:10 UTC 2008

Jan,

Have you contacted Google tech support about this automation?  Perhaps they
know of someone who is successfuly using this, though the description of it
on their website sounds pretty speech unfriendly.  My employer in the late
1990s was looking at the previous generation of the Google Automation system
at the time it was Scott Studios, and we believed it to be accessible with
speech.  Sorry I don't know whether the Google Automation would be usable,
and the user forum didn't seem to have any helpful information.

Our group of three radio stations in Alaska is using an automation system
called Simian produced by Broadcast Software International
http://www.bsiusa.com.  This system is very accessible with the use of JAWS
scripts, and can also be used without scripts, though the scripts do greatly
enhance operator capabilities.

I have also heard of other broadcast automation systems such as Audio Vault
which have been used successfuly by blind broadcasters.

Brian Blair
http://www.polarblairs.org