[gui-talk] Garmin Nuvi 800 series GPS

Hoffman, Allen Allen.Hoffman at dhs.gov
Mon Dec 1 13:08:45 UTC 2008

This is in follow up to a few responses to my earlier post on this
topic.

The Garmin Nuvi 800 series of Global Positioning Systems is a great
device for navigating either walking or driving.  It is not designed for
people who are blind, but should be usable since it includes both
text-to-speech output for menus and information, and speech input to
accept menu choices and address information as well as other commands.
The current design however, requires use of the screen, e.g. say the
line number of our choice.  it does not offer a mode that reads the
choices so you can say the line number.  I think this is a prime
candidate for a petition drive as was done for Google.  Who can I work
with to get such started?

I must admit I felt the petition approach was not well founded, or more
specifically would not achieve results in the past, however results
prove me wrong, so learning from my error, maybe this can work here as
well.  The Garmin folks need educating, they are so close to delivering
consumer electronics that are accessible it is painful.

Daryl?

Allen Hoffman