[Colorado-Talk] Pack your old canes and GIVE at convention

Jessica Beecham jbbeecham at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 13:53:03 UTC 2021

Greetings from Tennessee!

I hope you are well! My name is James Boehm, a fellow Federationist, VP of the TN affiliate secretary of our TAGDU guide dog division, and president of the Nashville chapter. I am reaching out to you regarding my personalmission: The You Cane Give Initiative. The affiliates have provided overwhelming support at their perspective state conventions! You CaneGive restores canes that are no longer use and send them around the world to countries where resources lack, or cost is so high! Conventions are a great time for folks to bring their old canes. It is an opportunity for a statewide community outreached the blind helping the blind around the world. We provide prizes for you to give out to those who donate canes (via drawings) as a thank you for supporting You Cane Give. We also promote your convention on our social media platforms, which is a win,win. I wanted to share our promo below that you can share with your members and chapters leading up to your convention. Many often use this or a variation thereof for their convention agendas as well. We gladly also speak at conventions about our initiative if you have availability in your agenda. We truly appreciate your support as we empower the blind-one cane at a time! I look forward to speaking with you soon so that I can talk to you further and answer any questions that you may have.

“Turn Your “Convention” Into a “Cane-Vention!” With the You Cane Give Initiative!”

Wondering what to do with that old cane you no longer use in the closet? Is that drawer of used canes collecting dust and taking up space? Donate your old canes to the “You Cane Give” We are collecting donated canes to refurbish and send to individuals who are blind and visually impaired around the world. Let’s face it, we have it good in America. With the click of a button, we can order almost anything we need, including a cane. In countries like Mexico, China, India, and South Africa, people do not have access to the proper tools that empower: White canes provide independence, safety, andsuccess. Do not let your canes go to waste!  “You Cane Give” allows you to help us give your used cane to a person far away who needs it!

James Boehm has spoken with many individuals around the world who have shared heartbreaking stories of family and friends who have died because of attempting to travel across the street without a cane. Initially, our focus was on empowering the blind, changing stereotypes, and equipping for equality and independence. But we realized that it is so much more than that. “Blind people are actually losing their lives,” In our trip to Kenya, blind organizations are referring to the shortage of canes as a “white cane famine!” You Cane Give not only empowers the lives of the blind, but it also saves lives. We need canes in all sizes. We are able tosend folding and straight canes overseas. We have numerous contacts worldwide, with current projects ongoing in Kenya, Nigeria, Ecuador, and Panama, to name a few, with individualswishing for a cane of their own. As of 2020, we have sent over 500 canes to over 15 countries around the world, thanks to your support! Our state convention is a great opportunity to throw used canes into your suitcase. As a thank you, You Cane Give will donate a Kustom Cane gift certificate and other cool accessories for door prizes as a thank you for your support! Bring your donated canes or tips to the You Cane Give designated location! Thank you so much! We appreciate your generosity!

Warmly,

James and Wendy Boehm, Founders of You Cane Give

You can ship your donated canes to:
You Cane Give
7303 Althorp Way
Nashville, TN 37211