[Colorado-Talk] A Quick Zoom Reference And A Security Tip For Those Hosting Meetings

David Dunphy ddunphy02211980 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 14:41:30 UTC 2020

Hello To All!
Since we're using zoom heavily right now, especially during
convention, I thought the following info might be useful to some who
might just want a quick reference guide on how to do some things with
zoom. Also, I've got a quick security tip to help those hosting
meetings.
But first, just some basic in meeting commands. Feel free to share
this with anyone you think would benefit:
1. TO mute and unmute, which is a toggle, so the same command will
work to do both
ON the pc: Alt A
>From the mac: command Shift A
On the app: The mute and unmute toggle is in the lower left hand
corner of your screen.
On the phone if dialing in: Star6.
2. Raising And Lowering Your Hand, which like muting and unmuting is a toggle:
On a windows pc: Alt Y
On the mac: Option Y
On the app:
access the “more” button on the lower right corner and the raise hand
feature appears.
The only time the raising hand button will be on the main screen on
the app is if you're in webinar, and you haven't been given permission
to talk.
If dialing in: Star 9

2. A Security Tip For Running Zoom Meetings:
Since sometimes people will call in by telephone, it might not be a
bad idea to enable the masking of the full telephone number. This is
so the person who is calling in doesn't have their telephone number on
display on essentially a virtual billboard. So how it will appear to
someone viewing that number unless renamed in the participant list is
the area code, several stars, then the last 3 digits of the number. So
the center's number, which is 303-778-1130
if masked would show as
1303****130
unless you renamed that owner's number to the person's name.
I just think it's a good tip to keep people dialing in by phone's
numbers secured. I have it on my account, and thought it might be
useful to those who do a lot with hosting zoom meetings:
To enable this on an account...
1. Sign into the zoom account on the zoom.us web site.
2. Navigate to settings on the web site once signed in.
3. You'll be placed in the meetings tab. Arrow down to the telephone
tab and press enter to highlight it.
4. Arrow down or do a  find command for your screen reader until you
hear: Mask Phone Number. The full option reads "mask phone number in
the participant list."
5. Toggle that to on. You'll know it worked if your screen reader says
button pressed after doing this.

Just thought this might help hosts and participants.