[Colorado-Talk] 23 Days Until NFBCO State Convention Anywhere and Everywhere

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Tue Oct 6 17:52:52 UTC 2020

Hey Colorado!!  What a beautiful Fall day here in the Rocky Mountains!!

Our first ever, virtual State Convention will begin in approximately 552
hours and you have less than 174 hours left to register in time to be
eligible to vote and receive door prizes.  Registration will cut off as of
5:00 PM Mountain next Tuesday, October 13th.  Why at 5:00?  Well, we do
everything at Mountain at 5.

State Convention will kick off on Thursday October 29th at 11:00 A.M. with
breakout sessions.  We will gather at 5:30 P.M. that evening for our Opening
Ceremonies which will feature music from our NFBCO Virtual Choir and
appearances from special guests.  After the Ceremonies, we will host a
number of Zoom Rooms with virtual games, other activities, and socializing
in general.

Friday morning will start with our NFBCO Resolutions Committee at 9:00 A.M.
After that, we will feature the Hour of Power where you will hear from our
sponsors and exhibiters.  After which, we will hold break out rooms for
these sponsors and exhibiters where you can visit with them and perhaps
transact business.

Friday afternoon will be devoted to our First General Session where we will
explore the status of blindness services, education, employment, voting, and
other affairs of the blind.

Friday Evening could be somewhat scary as we highlight Halloween with our
very own costume contest which will be audio described by the extremely
talented Bonnie Barlow.  After that, the Wild West Chapter will dazzle us
all by rounding us up for a talent exhibition.  After these events, roomer
has it that Worley's Virtual Bar and Grill will be open with Kevan Worley
buying everybody's drinks.

Saturday morning and afternoon will continue our General Sessions.  We have
some surprises in store for you, but you can count on hearing our National
Report which will be delivered by our National Representative, John Pare,
Executive Director for Advocacy and Policy for the Federation.  I reckon I
might deliver a Presidential Report highlighting the many accomplishments of
our affiliate during 2020.  We will also hear from our Colorado Center for
the Blind and many other blindness programs in our State.  No Colorado State
Convention would be complete  without our traditional My Blindness, Myself
Panel where we hear from usually three of our members about their story and
with blindness and why they are involved in the Federation.  We will also
use Saturday afternoon to conduct our business such as the Financial Report,
Resolutions, and Elections.

Saturday evening will be our Annual Banquet.  What is on the menu, you ask.
Well, whatever you order, cook, or otherwise procure for yourselves.  Before
Convention, we will send out some menu suggestions.  We will take up a
Banquet Address from John Pare, present scholarships, bestow the Raymond W.
McGeorge Award, highlight our Pre-Authorized Contribution Plan, and much
more.  After Banquet, word on the street says that several individuals will
have their Zoom Room open and we will provide a listing of all the rooms you
can stop by.  Instead of bar hopping, we'll be Zoom hopping.

All throughout the Convention, we will be conducting a fundraising auction
and be giving out door prizes.  More information will be coming out soon on
these elements of the Convention.

So in order to participate fully in our Great Colorado Get Together, you
need to register and do so by Mountain at 5 on Tuesday, October 13th.  How
do you do that?  Point your browser  to:

www.nfbco.org

Convention registration is the first heading on the page and click the
indicated link.  If you need help with registering, please call my office at
303 504-5979, leave a message,  and Lisa Bonderson   will get back with you.

Another important part of our Convention will be our Six Dot Dash Presented
by Comcast, this year a virtual 5K race to raise funds for our affiliate,
occurring between now and November 8.  Please go to www.sixdotdashco.com
<http://www.sixdotdashco.com>  to register and learn about this year's race.

Please stay tuned for more news about NFBCO Virtual 2020!!  Our plan is to
release the full agenda next week.  Maybe we'll even have a Mountain at 5 to
talk about it.

Yours,

Scott