[Colorado-Talk] Taking Care of Yourself! Taking Care of Each Other! Taking Care to Spread the Love of NFBCO

kevan at nfbco.org kevan at nfbco.org
Tue Mar 24 15:58:40 UTC 2020

Good morning,

I know most of us can't go anywhere but have you opened the windows? Have
you stepped outside? Other than the central mountains, I think they are
getting snow, it's a beautiful day across the state of Colorado. Feel the
sun and listen to those birds sing. Breath that Colorado Mountain air.

We wanted to let you know that your NFBCO Project Literacy team continues to
work on behalf of our Federation throughout this very sad, tragic, and
maddening time. Don't forget to let folks know about the hotline. It is
checked several times a day, 303-778-1130 extension 219. We also have a
dedicated email for people who find themselves needing some help, advice, or
support with specific challenges during the time of this COVID-19
difficulty. Folks can email assistance at nfbco.org
<mailto:assistance at nfbco.org> .  We particularly want to thank our Center
staff and students. We send our love and support. As many of you know, the
last 2 weeks have been particularly challenging for our CCB. Julie Deden and
our tremendous staff have handled the logistical challenges of responding to
events that change day to day. Of course students don't want to go home.
They want to continue to reach for those new heights of independence. Our
staff wants to teach and motivate. At the same time, staff and students have
their personal concerns of family and health to consider. So we send our
love and deep appreciation to our entire CCB community. You guys rock it.

Speaking of our Centers, our State President Scott LaBarre has been working
with amazing creativity and effort to get support from congress for our 3
NFB training centers.

For those of you who find yourselves needing to fill some extra time away
from work, we can use this time to build our NFBCO and help folks. Feel free
to reach out to me or State President LaBarre, First Vice President Beecham,
or your chapter and division presidents. One of the efforts we are making is
to reach out to every single member with a phone call or at the very least
an email or text message just to say, "hey, hi. How are you and yours? We
are thinking of you. Do you need anything?" If you would like to be a part
of that network let us know.

Some chapters are already planning their virtual meetings using Zoom
platforms or by other methods. Touch base with your chapter presidents and
get started! Let us know if you need ideas for content. It would be a good
time for a discussion of philosophy.

Speaking of philosophy, have you been participating in our NFBCO Zoom calls
at 5:00 each afternoon? They have been amazing. Here is what Jessica Beecham
says about this week:
COVID-19 won't stop the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado from
living the life we want! Week one of NFBCO Zoom workshops were jam packed
with fun, information, and virtual socialization. Thank you to everyone who
participated.

We invite you to join us for our workshops weekdays at 5:00PM mountain time.
Below is our schedule for Tuesday, March 24-Friday, March 27.

Several people have asked if these sessions are being archived and the
answer is yes. We are working to house them on YouTube and we will share the
information when they are available!

Tuesday, March 24 5:00PM

It's Census  Time!

Even amidst the pandemic it is census time. Dan Burke will tell you
everything you need to know!

Wednesday, March 25 5:00PM

Group Workout

Join the NFBCO as we walk it out together in our group workout. This workout
is appropriate for all fitness levels so wear comfy clothes and get ready to
break a sweat.

Thursday, March 26  5:00PM

Essential Oils 101

Join us to learn all about essential oils. We will talk about their
benefits, how to use them, where to get them, and how to make blends that
are good for your health.

Friday, March 27 5:00PM

Philosophy Discussion

Join us for a discussion of the Braille Monitor article that has been
sparking discussion among the blind community,

Sighted Privilege: Recognition of the Problem is the First Step Toward
Resolution,

By Justin Salisbury.

Read it at the link below or access it through NFB-NEWSLINE. It is the 6th
article in the February Braille Monitor.
https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm20/bm2002/bm200206.htm

Join Zoom Meeting

https://zoom.us/j/5955066474

Meeting ID: 595 506 6474

One tap mobile

+13462487799,,5955066474#

If you have questions or need assistance please call 615-497-0435 or email

jbbeecham at gmail.com <mailto:jbbeecham at gmail.com> .

I am personally looking forward to Friday's philosophy discussion. I think
we will have some special guests. So, read the article and join us.

Do you know folks who are not signed up for NFB Newsline? Do you know folks
who are not subscribed to Colorado Talk? This is the perfect time to reach
out to folks and get them registered for Colorado Talk and NFB Newsline. Let
us know if we can help. Let's try to get 20 new subscribers to each of these
great services by end of week. Remember that NFB Newsline now has extra
COVID-19 coverage. Forget swiping and swiping and flipping through Facebook
or Twitter. Get it all on the NFB Newsline app or over the phone.

During and after this sad and maddening Corona crisis, the NFBCO cares about
public transit across the state. Gary Van Dorn has stood up the NFBCO
Transit Committee. I have seen the agenda for this first meeting. Thank you
Gary. It is outstanding.

Fellow Federationists should also know that our education group continues to
meet and make progress. Michelle Chacon is chairing a vital committee to
investigate some new options for our blind children. We want options that
empower our parents. We want opportunities that give them piece of mind that
their blind children can get the best education effort. This work is
continuing throughout this crisis. Let us know if you want more info.

Stay safe. Stay home. And stay connected. More than ever, we believe. More
than ever, we know that together with love, hope, and determination we will
continue to transform our dreams into reality.

Manager, Project Literacy

303-929-2369

 <http://www.nfbco.org/> www.nfbco.org