[Colorado-Talk] Come to support the renaming of The parent’s rights bill of 2018 in honor of Carrie Ann Lucas

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 19:51:26 UTC 2020

Greetings -

As we should all know, we passed a strong bill protecting the rights
of Colorado parents with disabilities back in 2018, with the great
advocacy of the bill’s sponsor, now Senator Jessie Danielson. But what
many of us might be less aware of is that a large part of that bill’s
success came about because of Carrie Ann Lucas, the attorney and
advocate on behalf of the rights of parents with disabilities, who was
part of the negotiating team that, naturally, included Scott LaBarre
and which ultimately resolved differences in the bill’s language over
five negotiating sessions with lawyers from counties, from state
agencies and who knows where else who initially opposed the bill.
Carrie had clearly developed a daunting body of expertise in Colorado
family law and how it could, and often had, failed Colorado parents
with disabilities in the past. Carrie had represented many such
families. Indeed, she was one of them – one of us. As a woman with a
disability she adopted and raised her children. She knew the
intricacies of custody law, guardianship law, adoption law, and she
was never at a loss on any of these topics.

But less than a year after HB18-1104 was signed into law by Gov.
Hickenlooper, Carrie Ann Lucas died. Scott has stated more than once
that we have some of the strongest protections for parents with
disabilities of any state in the US, and Carrie’s knowledge of
Colorado statues were an important part of the reason, along with her
unwavering advocacy on behalf of people with disabilities in general.
So often, the right combination of people at the right time are what
make the most difference.

So on Thursday, Senator jessie Danielson’s bill, listed below, will
have a hearing in the Senate committee to honor Carrie Ann Lucas.
Scott will be there to testify. Why don’t we have a lot of blind
people in the Old Supreme Court Chamber that afternoon, along with
plenty of our fellow Coloradans with disabilities from CCDC and other
organizations? Let’s make a small spectacle out of respect for Carrie
Ann Lucas!

See you there!

SB20-165  Honoring Carrie Ann Lucas
Sponsor:  J. Danielson (D)
Concerning the "Carrie Ann Lucas Parental Rights for People with
Disabilities Act".

Senate Health & Human Services

Hearing:
03/05/2020
1:30 PM
Old Supreme Court Chambers

National Federation of the Blind of Colorado Legislative Coordinator

President, NFB of Denver

"Blindness is not what holds you back.  You can live the life you want!"