[Colorado-Talk] National Federation of the Blind of Colorado Joins the Blind of the Nation in Their Thousands for Virtual Convention

kevan at nfbco.org kevan at nfbco.org
Wed Jul 15 18:31:22 UTC 2020

Pandemic Has Not Kept Blind Americans in Their Thousands from Meeting in
Annual National Convention.

Hundreds Across Colorado Join National Federation of the Blind Convention
for Motivation, Education, and Connection.

For Immediate Release

Colorado Springs, Colorado (July 15, 2020): Celebrating 80 years, the
National Federation of the Blind was not about to let the COVID-19 stop them
from assembling for annual convention. Participating from living rooms,
offices, patios, and parks people who are blind or have low vision are using
zoom and other platforms to experience new technologies. They are sharing
ways to confront new challenges faced by people who are blind during
pandemic and beyond. The annual, ever-popular youth tracks for blind
students of all ages are at capacity. Programs for parents of blind
children, blind entrepreneurs, blind lawyers, blind teachers, and sports and
recreation enthusiasts are being met with record attendance. 366 people from
Colorado registered prior to the June 15th deadline. But hundreds more are
joining on multiple platforms from zoom to YouTube, from all over the state.
#NFB20

According to Scott LaBarre, a Denver based blind attorney and President of
the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado, "we are proud to be one of
the strongest affiliates of the Federation. There are new challenges for
blind people due to the pandemic. But, in most ways, our collective struggle
for equality of opportunity continues. We know that blindness is not the
characteristic that defines us or our dreams."

On Friday, July 17, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi will engage in a
colloquy with National Federation of the Blind President, Mark Riccobono,
following his annual report to the blind of the nation at 11:30 a.m.
Mountain Time. https://www.nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention.

The National Federation of the Blind of Colorado has chapters throughout the
state. Including the At Large, "Mountains and Plains" chapter which has been
meeting virtually, for a long time, to meet the needs of rural Coloradans.

Jessica Beecham, a blind entrepreneur from Colorado Springs, serves as
President of the National Federation of the Blind Sports and Recreation
Division. She says, "while many blind people enjoy participating in sports
and recreation activities, we know that people with disabilities have social
and other barriers that keep us from participation. Adaptive sports for
blind people are one answer. But we are creating more opportunities for the
blind to get up, get out, and move!" Beecham will Chair the Sports and Rec
Division meeting on Thursday. Dozens of special interest divisions of
interest to Colorado citizens will conduct workshops throughout the week
culminating in a virtual banquet at 5:30 Mountain time, Saturday, July 18.

# # # #

About the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado

The National Federation of the Blind of Colorado is the oldest and largest
organization of blind Coloradans. The National Federation of the Blind knows
that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future.
Every day we raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations
create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

CONTACT

For information about this initiative please contact

Kevan Worley

Manager, National Federation of the Blind of Colorado Project Literacy

Kevan at nfbco.org <mailto:Kevan at nfbco.org>

Manager, Project Literacy

303-929-2369

 <http://www.nfbco.org/> www.nfbco.org