[Colorado-Talk] Sneak Peak at NFBCO 65th Annual Convention AGenda

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Fri Oct 11 22:50:19 UTC 2019

Happy Friday Everyone, below is a sneak peak at our NFBCO Convention Agenda.
Please note that this is not the final version and a number of items are
still in flux.  However, this will give you a good idea of what we have in
store for you.

Cheers!

Scott

***

THURSDAY EVENING, OCTOBER 31, 2019

6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

BOOT SCOOT AND BOOGIE WESTERN

HALLOWEEN BALL

Pay $5 at the door or show your NFBCO membership coin. Dress in your finest
western duds or dress as a favorite character from the old west. Be sure to
arrive hungry and hankering for a fine BBQ picnic type spread.

After the Barbecue join us for a little boot scootin. Whether you are an old
pro on the dance floor or just learning, descriptive lessons will be
provided so that everyone can boogie!

FRIDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 1, 2019

8:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.

REGISTRATION

                Colorado State Ballroom Foyer

Pick up your pre-registration packets and register for door prize drawings.
If you didn't register in advance, you may inquire as to availability of the
various meals.  Convention Registration is $25.00, Friday Luncheon $30.00,
Saturday Luncheon $30.00, and Banquet $45.00.

8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.

EXHIBITORS AND SPONSORS SHOWCASE

Hilton Atrium

Peruse this year's selection of Convention Sponsors and Exhibitors and find
out what is new in technology, products, and services.  In particular, we
once again want to salute our Title Sponsor, Colorado Center for the Blind.
Our heartfelt thanks goes out to Vanda Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Audio
Information Network of Colorado, Colorado Business Enterprise Program,
CREEC, Spectrum/Charter Communications, LaBarre Law Offices, P.C. and Sprint
Vision.

8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.

        RESOLUTIONS COMMITTEE

                Salon I

        Brent Batron and Dan Burke, Co-chairmen

Come and help set the policy of the National Federation of the Blind of
Colorado!

8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

NFB OF COLORADO KID CORRAL

Hospitality Suite #232

Ena Batron, Corral Leader

This is our NFB of Colorado Childcare and it's not just babysitting.  We
have planned a number of activities to keep the kiddos busy.  Although there
is no charge for Corral, we ask that you register your children for the
Convention.  Donations to NFBCO are welcome to help defray the expenses.
Kids in childcare will be eligible to receive door prizes through their
parents if their names are called.  Also, parents are responsible for
providing the children with meals, except for the banquet when pizza will be
provided to the kiddos.  Snacks will be available throughout.

LIVING THE LIFE WE WANT SESSION I

Colorado State Ballroom Salons II & III

11:00 a.m. to 1:35 p.m.

11:00 a.m.

KICKING IT OFF: Opening Ceremonies for the 65th

Annual NFB Colorado Convention

Scott C. LaBarre, President, NFB Colorado, Centennial, Colorado; Norma
Crosby, Member NFB Board of Directors, President, NFB Texas, Alvin, Texas

11:10 a.m.

MAXIMIZING THE VOCATIONAL POTENTIAL OF THE

BLIND OF COLORADO: A Report from the Colorado Department of Labor and
Employment

Joe Barela, Executive Director, CDLE, Denver, Colorado; Cher Haavind, Deputy
Executive Director, Denver, Colorado

11:45 a.m.

ADVANCING AND SECURING OUR RIGHT TO VOTE

ON TERMS OF EQUALITY

The Honorable Senator Jessie Danielson, Colorado General Assembly, Senate
District 20, Wheat Ridge, Colorado; Curtis Chong, Secretary, NFB of Aurora,
Aurora, Colorado; Daniel Burke, Chair, NFB Colorado Legislative Affairs,
Centennial, Colorado

12:20 p.m.

LUNCH SERVED

Sit back and enjoy a scrumptious feast prepared by the master chefs of the
Fort Collins Hilton as we take sundry items such as NFBCO's Annual Auction,
door prizes, words from our sponsors, and other announcements.

12:50 p.m.

TRANSFORMING A COLORADO TREASURE INTO A

21ST CENTURY GATHERING PLACE: Will the Blind of Colorado Still Have Access
to Denver's Sixteenth Street Mall?

Brian Pinkerton, Principal Project Manager, Public
Works, City and County of Denver, Denver, Colorado

1:05 p.m.

OUR PUBLIC LIBRARY: A Report from the Colorado

Talking Book Library

Debbi MacLeod, Director, Colorado Talking Book Library, Denver, Colorado

1:25 p.m.

TACTILE GRAPHICS LITERACY

        Ann Cunningham, Golden, Colorado

Introducing the Children's Book Brigade.

We are working to make images more available.

1:35 p.m.

ADJOURN SESSION I

FRIDAY AFTERNOON, NOVEMBER 1, 2019

2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

MODELS AND MAPS AND LEGOS, OH MY!

Salon I

The drop-in Art Room is switching things up this year and we are going to
feature the new Braille Instruction Legos kits along with interactive models
and maps. Come with your friends and family and stay as long as you like.
These free activities are fun for kids and adults!

2:00 p.m. to 3:55 p.m.

        LATIN DANCE 101

                Salon V

Whether you are an experienced dancer or a wall flower interested in dipping
your toe into dance for the first time, come shake your tail feathers with
the Sports and Recreation Division and blind dance instructor Moses Hinijosa
to experience Latin Dance in a judgment free and highly descriptive
environment.

2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

TECH ONE-ON-ONE: Have questions about the latest, or even what you already
have?

                Rams Room

NFBCO's best Tech-heads, Chip Johnson, Curtis Chong, Paul Sandoval and
Yolanda Thompson will be on hand to answer questions, troubleshoot, and
teach.

Have questions about the latest, or even what you already have? There will
be short presentations throughout on topics such as the Orbit Reader, NFB
Newsline, iPhone's Braille screen input, Shorter & Quicker, Markdown,
Android, and more. Meanwhile, around the room there will be multiple tables
focused on a theme or device where you can meet with the experts for
one-on-one sessions. Drop in any time!

2:00 p.m. to 3:55 p.m.

        SO YOU WANT TO GO TO COLLEGE?

                Natural Resources Room, 2nd Floor

        Julie Deden, Dan Burke & LaVerne Dell

Are you a college student, high school student considering college, or an
adult thinking about going back to school? If so this is the session for
you!

During this fun and interactive session, we will cover everything you need
to know to start off or move forward in college on the right foot! We'll
cover disability rights laws as they apply in higher education, the skills
(both blindness and academic) you should possess when you arrive on campus,
why nothing happens for you without self-advocacy, how disability access
offices work, your Vocational Rehabilitation plan and much more. We'll do
some role-playing, have a panel or two, and learn a lot!

2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

ABLE ACCOUNTS

                Aggie Room, 2nd Floor

        Mike Keglovits, ABLE & Special Programs Manager

          Denver, Colorado

The ABC's and 123's of ABLE Accounts - The Achieving a Better Life
Experience (ABLE) Act brought into being ABLE accounts, which permit people
with disabilities to put money aside for disability-related expenses and yet
not jeopardize their SSI or Medicaid benefits, so long as your disability
began before you turned 26.  Mike Keglovits of Colorado ABLE will explain
how it works and how you can set up an ABLE account for yourself or someone
else.

2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.

        SENIOR DIVISION ANNUAL MEETING

                Research Room, 2nd Floor

Diane McGeorge, President

NFBCO Senior Division

Join the most fun and energetic division in the outfit for our annual
business meeting as well as a discussion of intergenerational learning,
taking Seniors in Charge on the Road, and much more.

2:00 p.m. to 3:55 p.m.

OH! MY ACHING BACK: Wellness and Posture for Cane and Canine Handlers Alike

                Vet Medicine Room, 2nd Floor

Ellie Carlson, Guide Dog Mobility Instructor,

Fort Collins, Colorado

Traveling with a cane or teaming with a guide dog takes a toll on our bodies
and affects our lifestyle, posture, and overall health. How does exercise,
massage, chiropractic, and proper travel technique apply to you? Come gain
practical tips and experience hands on demonstrations.

3:05 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

THE HISTORY LADY

        Aggie Room, 2nd Floor

Peggy Chong, Aurora, Colorado

Join the Blind History Lady as she brings to life the lives of our blind
Colorado ancestors! Learn about the importance of preserving our history and
how you can be part of this important work.

3:35 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

LIVING THE LIFE YOU WANT WITH HEARING LOSS OR DEAF-BLINDNESS

Research Room, 2nd Floor

Doula Jarboe, Denver Colorado and Paul Migliorelli, Boulder Colorado

Gain the resources to live fully and independently as a blind person with
hearing loss or deafness. Join us for a presentation from an audiologist on
hearing testing and learn about the I Can Connect Program which serves blind
people with hearing loss or deafness. Be part of our continued efforts to
develop the Deaf-Blind Division!

4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

COLORADO ASSOCIATION OF GUIDE DOG USERS

Vet Medicine Room, 2nd Floor

Melissa Green, President, COAGDU, Greeley, Colorado

Join the Colorado Association of Guide Dog Users for our annual business
meeting.

4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

NON-24 CIRCADIAN RHYTHM DISORDER EDUCATION PROGRAM

                Salon V

Sponsored by Vanda Pharmaceuticals Inc.

Come learn more about a debilitating disorder called Non-24 from our nurse
educator expert - Shauna Jatho.  Non-24 is a serious, chronic circadian
rhythm disorder that is very common in people who are totally blind.  Non-24
causes nighttime sleep problems and a wide range of daytime difficulties,
including an overwhelming urge to sleep during the day affecting the ability
to do everyday tasks.

For those who have not heard of Non-24 or interested in learning about
Non-24, please come join us in the discussion.  Those that have met Shauna
and heard the non-24 discussion in past years are welcome to come and ask
questions, offer feedback and/or share their sleep struggles.

Vanda Pharmaceuticals is a global biopharmaceutical company focused on the
development and commercialization of innovative therapies to address high
unmet medical needs and improve the lives of patients.

4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

COLORADO ASSOCIATION OF BLIND STUDENTS

BUSINESS MEETING

                Natural Resources Room, 2nd Floor

Cynthia Coffin, Vice President, Colorado Association of Blind Students,
Denver, Colorado

Join the Colorado Association of Blind Students for our annual business
meeting.

$5 registration

FRIDAY EVENING, NOVEMBER 1, 2019

7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.

FRIDAY FUN: GAMES AND ADVENTURES!

        Salons II and III

Get ready for Friday night fun with our chapters and divisions. Whether you
are looking for an exciting adventure or a fun evening socializing with
friends, there is something for everyone. Hang on for a wild ride on the
mechanical bull, compete with friends on the bungee run, or hop into the
Inflatable Bouncy Boxing House and bop your best friend with oversized
boxing gloves. Don't forget to place your bet for the annual NFBCO Sports
and Rec horse race!

A cash bar will be available throughout the evening.

7:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

        NOMINATING COMMITTEE

                Vet Medicine Room, 2nd Floor

        Julie Deden, Chairperson

(Note:  This is the only closed meeting of the Convention.  Only appointed
representatives

from chapters and divisions are permitted to

be in attendance.)

7:45 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

TRANSPORTATION COMMITTEE MEETING

Vet Medicine - 8pm to 9pm

Gary Van Dorn , Chair, Mile High NFBCO Transportation Committee, Denver,
Colorado

SATURDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 2, 2019

8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.

REGISTRATION

Colorado State Ballroom Foyer

8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m.

EXHIBITORS AND SPONSORS EXCLUSIVE

SHOWCASE

Hilton Atrium

LIVING THE LIFE WE WANT SESSION II

Colorado State Ballroom Salons II & III

9:00 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.

9:00 a.m.

GRAB YOUR CUP OF COFFEE AND LET'S GET THE

DAY STARTED

Scott LaBarre, President, NFB Colorado, Centennial, Colorado

9:05 a.m.

LIVING THE LIFE WE WANT AND TRANSFORMING

OUR DREAMS INTO REALITY ALL AROUND THE WORLD: A National Report

Norma Crosby, Member, Board of Directors, NFB, President, NFB Texas, Alvin,
Texas

9:45 a.m.

EXPECTING AND ENSURING THE HIGHEST QUALITY EDUCATION FOR BLIND CHILDREN IN
COLORADO

Dr. Tanni L. Anthony, Director of Access, Learning and Literacy Team,
Exceptional Student Services Unit, Colorado Department of Education, Denver,
Colorado

10:05 a.m.

MEETING THE NEW SUPERINTENDENT OF

THE COLORADO SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF AND BLIND: A report from CSDB

Dr. Nancy Benham, Superintendent, CSDB, Colorado Springs, Colorado; Brent
Batron, Member, Board of Trustees, CSDB, Second Vice President, NFB
Colorado, Centennial, Colorado

10:35 a.m.

RINGING THE BELL LOUDLY AND PROUDLY IN COLORADO: A Report on our 2019 BELL
Academy

Michelle Chacon, President, NFB North Metro Chapter, Denver, Colorado

10:55 a.m.

MEET THE 2019 NFB COLORADO SCHOLARSHIP

CLASS

Jessica Beecham, Secretary, NFB Colorado, Chair, NFBCO Scholarship
Committee, Colorado Springs, Colorado

Bhoomika Bhagchandani

Superior, Colorado

PhD Candidate & Graduate Fellow

Hugh Downs School of Human Communication

Arizona State University

Cynthia Coffin

Denver, Colorado

Masters in Social Work

University of Denver

Quincie Mattick

Colorado Springs, Colorado

Pre-Physical Therapy and Health Sciences

Idaho State University

11:15 a.m.

MEET THE BLIND AT WORK IN COLORADO

Kevan Worley, Moderator, President and CEO, Worley Enterprises, Member,
NFBCO Board of Directors, Colorado Springs, Colorado;  Yolanda Avila,
member, city council, Colorado Springs, Colorado; Jerry Leary, Entrepreneur
and Owner, The Unseen Bean, Boulder, Colorado; Zachary Parks, Warehouse
Associate, The Green Joint, Glenwood Springs, Colorado

11:45 a.m.

LUNCH SERVED

Sit back and relax as the master chefs and expert wait staff at the Fort
Collins Hilton serve you a savory and stupendous lunch while we take up the
NFBCO Auction, door prizes, words from our sponsors, and other
announcements.

12:15 p.m.

REALIZING OUR HIGHEST EXPECTATIONS: A

Report from the Staff and Students of the Colorado Center for the Blind

Julie Deden, Executive Director, CCB, First Vice President, NFB Colorado,
Centennial, Colorado

12:45 p.m.

MY BLINDNESS, MYSELF

Meet two Federationists who will share their inspiring stories about their
blindness and the Federation's role in allowing them to live the lives they
want!

1:15 p.m.

TRANSFORMING OUR DREAMS INTO REALITY IN

COLORADO: A Presidential Report

Scott C. LaBarre, President, NFB Colorado, Centennial, Colorado

1:45 p.m. Adjourn Session II

SATURDAY AFTERNOON, NOVEMBER 2, 2019

2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

MODELS AND MAPS AND LEGOS, OH MY!

Salon I

The drop-in Art Room is switching things up this year and we are going to
feature the new Braille Instruction Legos kits along with interactive models
and maps. Come with your friends and family and stay as long as you like.
These free activities are fun for kids and adults!

2:00 p.m. to 2:45 p.m.

COLORADO ASSOCIATION OF BLIND MERCHANTS ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETING

                Salon V

        Brad Basta, President, Colorado Association of Blind

Merchants, Golden, Colorado

2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

A TRAINING HOSTED BY CAER

                Rams Room

Brent Batron, Past President, CAER, Centennial, Colorado

Colorado Association of Educators and Rehabilitation Professionals
In-service Training - If you are an educator or rehabilitation professional
this is the training for you! During this session we will explore useful and
applicable topics and tools for blindness professionals.

The cost for this seminar is separate from Convention registration.  For
CAER members the cost is $10 and $20 for non-members.

2:00 p.m. to 3:25 p.m.

BLIND PARENTS DIVISION SEMINAR

                Natural Resources Room, 2nd Floor

Dishon Spears, Vice President, NFB of CO Blind Parents Division, Littleton,
CO

We'll begin with a 30-minute business meeting to elect our board.  After we
take care of business you may join us to try your hand at some of the
alternative techniques blind parents use. Practice measuring medicine with
marked syringes, pulling strollers and more. $5 dues must be paid to vote.

2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.

SPEED DATING

        Aggie Room, 2nd Floor

Nathan Hecker, Littleton, Colorado

Come get to know members of the National Federation of the Blind of Colorado
in a fast, fun, and friendly game of speed dating. Don't worry! No actual
dating is required!

2:00 p.m. to 2:55 p.m.

PARENTS OF BLIND CHILDREN

                Research Room, 2nd Floor

Rob Harris, Grand Junction, Colorado

Join the Colorado Parents of Blind Children for our annual business meeting.

2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

EVERYONE IS WELCOME: Embracing Diversity and

Inclusion in the National Federation of the Blind of

Colorado

                Vet Medicine Room, 2nd Floor

ReNae Anderson, Darian Smith, JJ Aragon, Melissa Green, and Kevan Worley

This session will kick off with ice breaker and interactive activities to
highlight the importance and value of diversity in our affiliate. Come help
us explore next steps in creating a more diverse, inclusive, and welcoming
organization for EVERYONE!

2:50 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

BLIND ENTREPRENEURSHIP

                Salon V

Come and learn from four talented blind entrepreneurs as they share their
trades and offer valuable advice about entrepreneurship!

>From 2:50 p.m. to 3:05 p.m. Annie Pineda LMT, will discuss being owner and
operator of AP Body Therapy.  She is a home herbalist who currently works
from her home and provides therapeutic and relaxation massage, as well as
prenatal and postpartum doula services.

>From 3:10 p.m. to 3:35 p.m. Ileen Gallegos will discuss her journey through
Tupperware sales as well as how to stay healthier with Tupperware products.

>From 3:40 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Jennifer Spears will discuss the "the book in
you" and how to self-publish.

>From 4:05 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Brittany Savage will discuss life as a Mary Kay
Saleswoman and offer hands on demonstrations of how to apply makeup! This is
the perfect chance to get all dolled up for banquet!

3:00 p.m. to 3:55 p.m.

        DON'T CRY, IT'S JUST UEB

                Research Room, 2nd Floor

Eliza Portugal

In this one-hour session, Eliza will turn your frown upside down as she
explains how UEB will impact your Braille reading and writing experience.
Each participant will leave with a Braille overview of the new UEB code
changes.

3:05 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

MARYANN'S HOUSE OF IMPROV: Improving

Communication and Confidence through Acting

        Aggie Room, 2nd Floor

Maryann Migilorelli

Come play and learn along the way. During this session you will use
improvisational skills to help you improve communication, learn to be a more
effective listener, and learn the power of "yes". Active Participation IS a
must in this session!

3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

        PERFORMING ARTS

                Natural Resources Room, 2nd Floor

Amy Sabo

Calling All Performers! Come join us to network with other blind performers
and learn how you can get more involved in the National Performing Arts
Division.

4:00 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.

MOUNTAINS AND PLAINS AT LARGE CHAPTER

MEETING

Research Room, 2nd Floor

ReNae Anderson, Chapter President

Party down with the At Large Chapter as we celebrate being at the same place
at the same time with a lot of fun and some business too! Dues-paying
members will receive party favors but everyone is welcome!

4:05 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.

        SPORTS AND RECREATION DIVISION MEETING

                Vet Medicine Room, 2nd Floor

Maureen Nietfeld, President, Sports and Recreation Division, Littleton,
Colorado

Join the Sports and Recreation Division for our annual business meeting and
to set our agenda for 2020 and beyond.

4:50 p.m.

PAPARAZZI ACCESSORIES $5 FASHION JEWELRY!

        Research Room, 2nd Floor

ReNae Anderson, Owner, Sparkle 911

Lead free and nickel free! Little girls jewelry only $1!  Something for
everyone! Find that perfect piece for the banquet. Learn the tricks and tips
on owning your own jewelry business, including aps, AIRA and Facebook.

SATURDAY EVENING, NOVEMBER 2, 2019

6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.

        PRE-BANQUET RECEPTION

Colorado State Ballroom Salons II & III

Let's get tuned up for our Annual Banquet with a cash bar and socializing
with one another.

7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.

        ANNUAL BANQUET

Master of Ceremonies, Kevan Worley, Board Member, NFBCO, Colorado Springs,
Colorado

KEYNOTE ADDRESS

Norma Crosby, Member, Board of Directors, NFB, President, NFB Texas, Alvin,
Texas

AWARDS AND OTHER SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS

Scott C. LaBarre, President, NFB of Colorado, Centennial, Colorado

NFB OF COLORADO 2019 SCHOLARSHIP

PRESENTATIONS

Jessica Beecham, Chairperson, Committee on Scholarships, Colorado Springs,
Colorado

ANNUAL FUNDRAISING AUCTION

Maryann Migliorelli, NFB of Colorado Auction Chairperson, Boulder, Colorado

        PAC IT UP and Build the National Federation of the

Blind!

SUNDAY MORNING, NOVEMBER 3, 2019

LIVING THE LIFE WE WANT SESSION III

Colorado State Ballroom Salons II & III

8:30 a.m. to 11:47 a.m.

8:30 a.m.

NFB COLORADO ANNUAL CHAPTER AND DIVISION

BREAKFAST

Julie Deden, Mistress of Ceremonies, First Vice President, NFB Colorado and
Executive Director, CCB, Centennial, Colorado

We will dine on a fabulous breakfast prepared by the master chefs of the
Fort Collins Hilton and served by the expert wait staff.  Then we will hear
reports from all chapters and divisions of the NFB of Colorado.

9:25 a.m.

THE GREAT TECHNOLOGY DEBATE: Are the blind

becoming too dependent on their technology and

thereby sacrificing their independence?

Kevan Worley, Chief Innovation Advocate, Member, Board of Directors, NFB
Colorado, Colorado Springs verses Curtis Chong, Chief Luddite, Secretary,
NFB Aurora Chapter, Aurora, Colorado

9:55 a.m.

        PERSPECTIVES FROM ACROSS THE POND

Holly Scott-Gardner, Colorado Center for the Blind Student, United Kingdom

10:15 a.m.

ALL ABOUT THE BUSINESS OF THE FEDERATION

We will take up resolutions, conduct elections for our Officers and Board of
Directors, review our financial report, facilitate the Honor Roll Call of
Chapters and Divisions, and hear final remarks from Norma Crosby, our
National Representative.

11:47 a.m.

END SESSION III AND ADJOURN THE CONVENTION