[Colorado-talk] Oppose HR 620 Calls Right Now

Scott C. Labarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Thu Feb 15 15:35:34 UTC 2018

Hey everyone, I want to echo Dan's thoughts.  I just got done making my
calls about H.R. 620 and it is quick an painless.  The folks just take down
your information and opinion and that's all.  In fact, Coffman has an
automated system where you leave your voicemail.  I know that all of this
may seem meaningless but every call makes a difference.  For example,
DeGette's staffer said that they  had been getting a lot of calls and that
the Congresswoman would definitely oppose H.R.  620.

As for our Valentine at the State Capitol, we had a terrific day and the
legislators were certainly on notice that a bunch of blind people  had
descended upon them.  Our chief initiative this year is the Family
Preservation Safeguards for Parents With Disabilities Act, H.B. 18-1104
sponsored by Rep Jessie Danielson.  This bill would insure that decisions
about parental rights are made based on fact, not misconception and
prejudice regarding disability.  We had received word that some of the
counties and other child advocates were opposing our bill because they
thought we were attempting to weaken their ability to protect children who
find themselves in danger from unfit parents.  That, of course, is not our
intent.

I am happy to say that after an extensive meeting with Rep Danielson and
representatives from some of the entities with concerns about our bill, we
agreed in principal to some compramizes that would  address the counties'
and others' concerns.  Although the devil is always in the details, I am
very hopeful that our bill will face no or little opposition next Tuesday
when it goes to hearing.

Speaking of which, we urge all of you to appear for the hearing on H.B. 1104
before the House Public Healthcare and Human Services Committee, Tuesday,
February 20th at 1:30 pm in House Committee Room 107 which is in the
basement of the Capitol building.  We need everyone their to show support,
especially blind parents.

Have a terrific day!!

Scott