[Colorado-talk] Restroom Stalls at Denver Union Station

Gary Van Dorn garyvdrn at msn.com
Wed Dec 19 12:35:03 UTC 2018

Recently, I learned of a delicate issue that is not directly related to blindness.  I do consider the issue to be a public safety issue for those who must use the public restroom at Denver Union Station.  This morning, I realized there may be blind people impacted who need to use a restroom stall to administer insulin.

I learned last week that RTD took off the doors to the stalls in the ladies room at Denver Union Station.  Last night, I confirmed that RTD also removed the stall doors in the men’s room.  One source advised our partners at CCDC that RTD removed the stall door due to the homeless.  I had the opportunity to quickly address the issue with Director Williams (District A) when she came over to greet me.  Director Williams advised me RTD removed the doors to combat people administrating their drugs in the restrooms.  I delicately spoke to the Board last night at their monthly Board meeting.  Director Genova advised me last night night RTD will have new doors in the restrooms in January, 2019.

Director Genova says the stall doors at Market Street Station are in place.  Although not confirmed, one of the Directors advised me the stall doors at Market Street are in the shape of a triangle.  It is unfortunate our society has come to the drug use now destroying so many lives.  RTD is not the only public entity facing the issue of stall doors in their public restrooms.  The Main Branch of the Denver Public Library uses a Dutch door (half door) in their restrooms according to this same Director.

Gary