[Colorado-talk] Eclipse info from NFBJI

Dan Burke burke.dall at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 18:51:09 UTC 2017

Some info for blind folks to experience the eclipse on Monday.

Solar Eclipse:
Next Monday, a total solar eclipse will pass across the United States.
The eclipse soundscape project<http://eclipsesoundscapes.org./> is
providing a unique opportunity to experience the eclipse nonvisually
through haptic feedback using a rumble map, and through audio
descriptions unlocked in real time as the eclipse moves overhead. Due
to the change in light, nocturnal animals stir into action, while
diurnal animals settle. As the sun’s light re-emerges, it often
triggers a “false dawn chorus,” recordings of which will be gathered
from across the country and shared in the wake of the eclipses
passing. An accessible iPhone app is already available, and an Android
app is coming soon. For those without a smartphone, MP3 files will be
available from the eclipse soundscape project’s website.

Eclipse Booklets:
We were very pleased to be able to circulate 321 copies of Getting a
Feel for Eclipses, a tactile-graphic guide to the solar eclipse, to
members in over a dozen states. These tactile graphics are nonvisual
representations of how eclipses occur, what they look like, and the
path that the great American eclipse will take across the United
States on Monday. The guides were designed by the College of
Charleston and NASA Solar System Exploration Research Virtual
Institute, and produced by
Hapticallyspeaking.com<http://www.Hapticallyspeaking.com>.

expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.