[Colorado-talk] Introduction - Western Slope Parents

Rob Harris trebor681 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 03:46:01 UTC 2017

Good Evening,
Hi everyone, my name is Rob Harris a dad in Grand Junction who is starting
a local NOPBC division to support our kiddos in Grand Junction and Western
Slope. I have recently subscribed to the list and am finding it a great
resource. I am very encouraged by the words that you folks are sharing and
it is a true reflection of our experience, thank you, I am very excited!

I am dad to 3 wonderful children and have been tirelessly inspired by our
middle 10 year old, Isabelle. She has Optic Nerve Hypoplasia and epilepsy
and I really want to set her up for absolute success. Although I am a 5th
generation Colorado native, Isabelle was born out in WV and met with the
very wonderful folks at the WVSDB and I will never forget the very first
meeting with the director saying "You have got to fight for your child, you
got to!" And I have from that day forward most all of it feeling very alone
but confident in our mission. Now I find myself realizing that we are not
alone. Isabelle attending the NFB Grand Valley BELL Camp was the spark that
fired us up and boy have our lives been changed. We have been able to
connect to other in our area that have a great deal in common. Isabelle was
given a cane and demonstrated a start to her braille skills. We are so very
excited for her but also got a bit more. My wife and I were able to connect
with other parents of blind children, a first for us since those early days
at the WVSDB visit. Isabelle's siblings were able to connect to other

Now we are working toward assisting everyone with a little piece we may
have picked up along the way. I am getting involved with the NFB Grand
Valley and Nate Hecker has been great with getting us started. I look
forward to meeting many of you very soon and please feel free to share my
information with others you may find need a hand in Grand Junction and
Western Slope, I would love to connect with them.

Sincerely,
Rob Harris
trebor681 at gmail.com
(970) 261-0334