[Colorado-talk] !How Your Chapter Can Swipe, Dip, Or Tap Smarter -- and No, I'm Not Talking About Canes

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Mon Nov 7 14:13:14 UTC 2016

Hello NFB Conventioneers,

I want to share a bit of a follow-up on something
our chapter missed out on, and share how your
chapter can benefit and keep from missing out on
the same in the future, at every event you may
ever hold or attend.

Some of you know I retired from my previous career
as an AT trainer when I moved to Colorado. I have
been much more like a Luddite these past 4.5
years,  doing only what was necessary to grow the
business Lisa and I started not too long after I
moved here. My point is that I have not kept up on
most technologies at all. I definitely have some
catching up to do, as I recently decided to get
back into the training biz.

This message, though, is about helping your
chapter to not lose out on sales or donations like
we just did.

While at the convention, our Colorado Springs
chapter sold a decent amount of NFB of Colorado
Brailled T-shirts -- and we again thank every one
of you who bought one. If any of you still would
like a T-shirt, any size you want is only $20, and
you simply need to contact Jeanette Fortin, our
chapter President. Okay, sales message over
[smile].

But we missed out on a few sales, too. Due only to
not being up on some of the services available
nowadays to anyone with a smart phone or tablet.

See, like me, apparently a few others don't often
carry enough cash around on them either. I use my
card for almost everything these days. I know that
I should bring a decent amount of cash to
conventions, even with ATMs in the hotels. It's
just more convenient when face-to-face with dozens
of fundraisers hawking their items at a
convention, y'know? Well, coming at it from the
other side, being one of those hawkers, it simply
didn't occur to me to find a way for our chapter
to accept card payments while at the hotel and
convention. it was definitely a, "duh,"moment for
me.

A couple of sales we missed out on, the people
actually asked if we used "Square" to take
payments. Well, no, we didn't. But we soon will.
And so can you. If you're not aware of just how
easy it can be for your chapter, below is a link
to the page for details on Nonprofits using the
app, and I've included the basics below in case
you didn't want to click through right now.

Square for Nonprofits -- A Smartphone App for
Easily Taking Payments
https://squareup.com/pos/organizations

Over 10 million donations collected with Square.
Square is one service for your entire
organization, from collecting membership dues to
free point-of-sale software. Whether you’re
hosting a fundraising event or seeking donations,
Square helps keep your team all buttoned up.
The free Square Register app turns a smartphone or
tablet into your complete point of sale. It takes
care of payments, processing, analytics, and more,
so you can focus on your members and your mission.
●Swipe, dip, or tap payments even when you don’t
have a signal.
●Print or email sales reports.
●Customize taxes and discounts.
●Get deposits in one to two business days.
Clear pricing, speedy deposits
Pay 2.75% per swipe, dip, or tap for Visa,
MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. Get
donations and funds deposited into your bank
account in one to two business days.
Get extra Square Readers and enable staff and
members to accept payments and donations, and run
special events when your group needs it most. Gain
real-time insights into event performance and
fundraising right from your Square Dashboard.
The free Square Reader works with the Square
Register app to take payments on a smartphone or
tablet. So your organization can stay aligned
anywhere.
Swipe, dip, or tap smarter
Square encrypts card information at the moment of
swipe, dip, or tap and never stores data on your
device after a payment has been processed. Give
peace of mind and serious security to your donors
and members.
Square’s Customer Engagement software can help
increase your donations. It automatically adds
donors to a directory for you and sorts them into
groups (loyal, casual, lapsed). You can send email
to those groups in minutes using our beautiful
templates. Then monitor the results of your
campaign right in your Square Dashboard.
Get real-time feedback from donors via digital
receipts with Square Feedback. Respond directly
and, if needed, send promotions or discounts that
turn unhappy donors into advocates.
Use Square Analytics anytime to get an in-depth
look at your organization. Important financial
reports about donations, deposits, and more are
always accurate and always available.
Linking your Square account to other trusted
pieces of software you use for accounting,
analytics, or inventory is simple. And we’re
always adding new partners.

Go here for all the details on using, "Square:"
https://squareup.com/pos/organizations

Strive On!
Everett