[Colorado-talk] Article: The Blind Side

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 02:08:52 UTC 2014

I was especially offended by the line about kids "ranging in age from
toddlers to old enough to drink, if they could find their way to a
bar".
I may be blind, but I can certainly find my way to a bar! (In fact,
sometimes it's easier when I'm drunk!) :)

Seriously, the problem with this article (and many public statements
about blindness) is that the writer is placing his own feelings and
reactions to blindness in the mouths of these kids. It is assumed that
blindness is an unconquerable challenge, a hardship much greater than
any the writer has experienced. This is based on the writer's
interpretation of what he saw and not the actual behavior of the kids
or anything they said to him.
Would be nice if reporters asked more questions and wrote based on
what they hear coming out of the field instead of what they believe
going in to the field.

Arielle