[Colorado-talk] Assistive Listening Project 2014 Convention Announcement

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Wed Apr 2 15:26:07 UTC 2014

Just want to make sure nobody that may need or
want this, misses it. Below is something from the
latest issue of the Braille Monitor, regarding
hard-of-hearing details for the upcoming National
Convention. It also includes details for states
interested in obtaining such communications setups
for state conventions as well. We don't need to
worry about that here, though. Colorado and our
own Curtis Willoughby are mentioned below, for
good reason. ;-)

Here's the announcement & details!
Everett

Assistive Listening Project 2014 Convention
Announcement:
  At the 2014 national convention the National
Federation of the Blind
Amateur Radio Division and the National Federation
of the Blind Deaf-Blind
Division will again offer special arrangements for
severely hearing-
impaired people attending convention sessions and
the banquet. This will
consist of transmission of the public address
system signal over a special
short-range radio transmitter for the severely
hearing-impaired. Spanish-
language translation of convention proceedings in
general sessions and the
banquet will also be provided using a similar
arrangement. The special
receivers required for these services will also be
provided.
  In cooperation with several state affiliates
(notably Colorado, Utah,
and Virginia), the NFB will provide special
receivers for these
transmissions to those needing them. The
receiver-lending will be managed
by the Amateur Radio Division and will be operated
from a table just
outside the meeting room. A deposit of $40, cash
only, will be required of
anyone wishing to check out one of the
Federation's receivers. The deposit
will be returned if the receiver is checked in at
the checkout table in
good condition by the end of the banquet or within
thirty minutes of
adjournment of the last convention session that
the borrower plans to
attend. Batteries for the receiver will be
provided. Anyone checking out a
Federation receiver will be given upon request a
miniature earbud-type
earphone to use with the receiver.
  Along with explaining what will be available, it
is important that we
explain what will not be available. The miniature
earbud loudspeaker-type
earphone will be the only kind of earphone
offered. If you would like to
use your own earphone(s), silhouette, neck loop,
or other device or adapter
cable to get the signal from the receiver we
provide to your ear, you must
ensure that the cable connection between your
device and our receiver is
one that will fit the audio jack found on
electronic devices such as
talking book and MP3 players, laptops, or mobile
devices like iPhones and
note takers. In technical terms, this is referred
to as a 3.5 mm (formerly
called 1/8-inch) earphone plug. You are advised to
arrange for such things
well ahead of arriving at the convention. Other
than the earphone jack on
the receiver, no means of connection to a hearing
aid will be available
from the checkout table. The receiver does not
have a built-in loudspeaker.
While earphones, and even neck loops, are
sometimes available in the
exhibit hall, you cannot be certain of getting one
there.
  Many severely hearing-impaired people already
use radio systems that
employ FM radio signals to carry the voice from a
transmitter held by the
person speaking to a receiver in the hearing aid.
Some of these hearing aid
systems can be tuned to receive the Federation's
special transmitters. In
this case the hearing-impaired person may simply
tune his or her own
receiver to receive the Federation's transmitter
and will not need to check
out a Federation receiver.
  Some audiologists and rehabilitation agencies
are now buying digital
and other FM hearing aids that cannot be tuned to
the Federation's
frequency. If you have one of these or if you have
any other type of
hearing aid, you should obtain from your
audiologist an adapter cable to
connect from your hearing aid to a monaural 3.5 mm
earphone jack. This will
allow you to plug the cable from your hearing aid
directly into a receiver
you check out from our table. This will allow you
to hear as well as anyone
else using one of our receivers.
  The transmitter for the hearing impaired will be
connected to the
public address system so that the signals from the
head table and the aisle
microphones will be transmitted on channel
thirty-six (74.775 MHz narrow
band FM). People must not operate their personal
transmitters on channel
thirty-six or on channel thirty-eight, because
that would interfere with
the reception by others. This means that folks
wishing to use their own
receivers (rather than checking out one of the
Federation's receivers) need
to have their personal receivers arranged so that
they can switch between
their personal channels and channel thirty-six.
Some people may need to
purchase replacement or additional receivers.
Caution your audiologist that
there is more than one channel thirty-six, and he
or she must also verify
that your frequency matches our frequency.
  This announcement is published now to allow as
much time as possible
for those interested to make the necessary
arrangements before convention.
It contains this amount of detail so that any
audiologist who works with
this type of equipment should be able to know by
reading this article
exactly what capabilities a person's hearing
system must have to work with
the Federation's system at convention.
  Even if your hearing aid is not of the FM type,
you may be able to
purchase a silhouette, a neck loop, or an adapter
cable to couple the
signal from a Federation receiver directly to your
hearing aid. Your
audiologist should also be able to help you with
this. The NFB Deaf-Blind
division has offered to provide feedback on their
members' experiences with
these types of devices to interested convention
attendees. Contact Joe
Naulty, 3924 South Wind Drive, West Melbourne,
Florida 32904, (321) 768-
9500 or <jnaulty at cfl.rr.comfor inquiries. Please
always remember to
consult your audiologist when considering any
additions to your hearing aid
setup.
  The service for Spanish speakers will be
similar, except that a live
Spanish translator will speak over a separate
transmitter on channel thirty-
eight (75.275 MHz narrow band FM). We do not
expect that people will bring
their own receivers for the Spanish-translation
service, unless they are
also hearing impaired and use an FM hearing aid
system. Spanish speakers
may, however, wish to bring their own earphones.
See above for a
description of the type of plug needed.
  Norm Gardner from Utah will be coordinating the
Spanish language
interpreters, and he would appreciate hearing from
anyone willing to
volunteer to interpret. Please call him before
convention at (801) 224-
6969, or send him email at
<ngardner at brlcenter.org>.
  If other state affiliates or chapters are
interested in purchasing
this type of equipment for use in state and local
meetings, they are
encouraged to purchase equipment that is
compatible with that which we are
using and to allow it to be used in the pool of
equipment that the Amateur
Radio Division administers at national convention.
Tony Olivero would like
to help you choose equipment that is compatible
with that which the NFB is
using. You may contact him at (765) 977-1683 or at
<anthony at olivero.us>.
The Federation is pleased to offer these services
to our severely hearing-
impaired and Spanish-speaking colleagues, and we
hope and believe that it
will again significantly improve their convention
experience.
  Finally, we would like to take a moment and
thank Curtis Willoughby
for his many years of dedicated leadership of the
NFB Amateur Radio
Division. Curtis's efforts have contributed
significantly to the ability of
those with hearing loss and those who are
primarily Spanish speakers to
participate in convention sessions. Curtis, we
thank you for all the time
and effort you have put forth over the years.