[Colorado-talk] Braille Pal Wanted?

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Mon May 6 19:37:09 UTC 2013

Hello,

I thought this might interest some in the Denver
area, in case we weren't already connected with
her -- but perhaps anyone here might wish to
converse via Braille with this woman? Here's an ad
she placed in this month's Braille Monitor, "In
Brief" section:

"Braille Pal Wanted:
I am finishing the study of contracted Braille,
thinking about trying grade three, and am
contemplating a purchase of a Brailler. It would
make Braille writing a lot easier and faster than
using a slate and stylus. However, the cost of a
Brailler did concern me, especially because I
could not think of many reasons why I would have
to use it. Then someone mentioned that I could use
it to write letters to others who are blind, and
that led me to another thought: it might be fun to
have Braille pen pals to correspond with. Writing
letters with a computer using a screen reader is
ok, but I do want to keep up my Braille skills. If
you are interested in being a Braille pal, you can
write to me in Braille, and I can write back to
you. I am a senior but would also enjoy
corresponding with younger people. I suppose we
would need someone to address envelopes for us,
but it is good to keep in touch with the sighted
community too. My name and address are Estelle
Shukert, 2924 S. Ingalls Way, Denver, CO 80227."

Also, someone might want to let her know that
Braille Writers are sold on the secondary market
every day for $250-$350, and she doesn't have to
pay full price for one unlness she wants to. ;-)

Strive On!
Everett