[Colorado-talk] Fwd: Automated Stop Announcement Progress

Everett Gavel everett at everettgavel.com
Sat Sep 15 21:40:19 UTC 2012

Hi Gary, Nehemiah, and all,

As most of you know, I'm fairly new to Colorado. I haven't been in on
previous discussions of the Automated Stop Announcement, that I can remember
anyway. It's sounds sort of specific, yet vague enough to possibly be a few
things.

All I want to say is, if we're talking about a bus or  light-rail system,
please make sure they understand we would appreciate it if the drivers do
*not* turn it down so it can't be heard.

Back in Northeast Ohio, in the Akron Metro system, bus drivers were
notorious for doing that, so the talking stop system was useless to blind
passengers. The reasoning given was that the GPS, talking stop system,
whatever it may have been called there, sometimes spoke up and gave wrong
GPS locations that were a few blocks off or more -- while the bus was still
riding down the road. So the drivers often turned down the volume so it
could not be heard. I suggest specifically stating that this not be an
option for drivers here, if this is a bus or rail system we're discussing.
And if it's not, I look forward to learning exactly what it is. ;-)

Strive On!
Everett