[Colorado-talk] message from Jessica Beecham; Chapter and Community Development Coordinator

Lisa Bonderson lbonderson at cocenter.org
Tue Apr 3 17:32:25 UTC 2012

Hello Everyone!

            I wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself.  My name is Jessica Beecham and I have recently been hired as the Chapter and Community Development Coordinator for the National Federation of the blind of Colorado.  In a nutshell, I am here to do the leg work necessary to grow and build chapters across the state as well as enhance community awareness and involvement within the Federation.   Understandably, within a volunteer organization, there are certain tasks that everyone understands need to be completed but that no one has time to do.  I will be completing a lot of these tasks including outreach to past and prospective members, making presentations to spread the word about our organization within the community, working closely with existing chapters to build plans for growth, working with new chapters to get them up and running, and anything else that I can do to help this organization grow to its fullest potential.

My background is in Therapeutic Recreation and I am currently working to finish my master's degree in exercise Science.  In the past, I have been the secretary for my local NFB of TN chapter, a state board member, and the president of Tennessee association of Blind Students (TABS).  Although this will be my first attempt at chapter building and community development, I am passionate about the philosophy and mission of our organization and am eager to spread the vision of what our world WILL be like when blind women and men have an equal place at the table in all aspects of life.  It is my firm belief that involvement in the National Federation of the Blind helps us to move closer to this vision of equality and therefore, I consider it a true honor and privilege to grow this cause within the state of Colorado.

Over the next few months many of you will have the opportunity to meet me at your chapter meetings or other NFB functions.  When you do please feel free to share with me your ideas of what the ideal NFB of CO would look like.  If you woke up five years from now and the NFB of CO had grown to its maximum potential how many chapters would we have?  Where would those chapters be?  What kind of support or connections would we have within the community?  If we dream big, it is my belief that we will see big results.  DREAM BIG WITH ME and WE WILL build NFB of CO!

Thank you for the opportunity to share in the growth and development of this fantastic affiliate.  If you have any questions or if you just want to chat, please feel free to call or e-mail.  My e-mail is currently jbeecham at cocenter.org; however I will be getting an nfbco.org e-mail address at some point.  My phone number is 702-440-2NFB (2642).  I look forward to getting to working with you in the near future.

Best Wishes

Jessica Beecham

Chapter and Community development Coordinator

National Federation of the Blind of Colorado

2233 West Shepperd Ave.

Littleton, CO 80120

jbeecham at cocenter.org